Do You Walk Over Trotting Poles?

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
The reason I ask is because no matter where in the school I place 4 somewhere I need to walk over them.
I put them just off the centre line as I use that as part of a warm up pattern. But I put them between e and k with space to pass both on the rail and centre line but then they we're in the way for my figure of 8. Though it was ideal to trot through them .

So question is can you simply walk over if you are not in trot? I could move them to the centre line in that case, but she is young and unfit. I didn't want to ask for something that will mean her tripping.

I am not used to being restricted by a school and have only ever log reined in fields.

Having been doing pole work, any number beyond 3 poles is good.. yesterday we were walking over 6 poles, then trotting.. it's teaches them to pick their feet up properly, and is good for building topline (adding slightly higher poles a few inches off the ground is even better

Yes I walk over trotting poles, but tend to refer to them as "ground poles" cos, you know, I'm not trotting :giggle: I like to use them to work on accuracy - such as riding between two parallel poles to help with straightness, or getting the horse to step over them with their front feet and then halt above the pole for a few seconds before moving on, or putting a row of poles with alternate ends raised to encourage them to lift their hindlegs as they step over.

ETA - even if she is young and unfit, I wouldn't worry about her tripping over trotting poles. As long as your trot has plenty of "forward" I don't see it being a problem, just start with one and then add more as she gets the hang of it. Poles will teach her to think more about where she puts her feet :)

I will try this tomorrow. It could be me tripping over them.

I like polework as you have such a variety of things you can do.

I tend to do pole work on the lunge line, allowing shadow to do the pole work unheeded whilst I 'sort' of stay in the middle.. does she lunge ok?

Oh but poles are EEEEEVIL, dontcha know? They bite off pony feeties, if you're not careful!!!

F3.jpg

F2.jpg

(Let's just say Jack's "not keen" :giggle:)

Oh and ^^ that reaction was over a plain pole... a painted pole is a REAL no-go!!!

Oh but poles are EEEEEVIL, dontcha know? They bite off pony feeties, if you're not careful!!!

F3.jpg

F2.jpg

(Let's just say Jack's "not keen" :giggle:)

Oh and ^^ that reaction was over a plain pole... a painted pole is a REAL no-go!!!

:giggle: he'll make a superb showjumper :wink::biggrin:

Yes we walk over them. As well as trotting and I use them to weave in and out of and all around and make shapes - just makes a bit more interest when Storm couldn't do a lot work wise (she has had a tendon injury) I would like more poles am saving up for some!!

Yep we always walk over them before trotting :smile:

When i first got Finn he had a slight locking stifle so had to do LOADS of walking over poles to build the muscle up :happy:

Im also doing this lots with Brandy at the moment, he needs to build some top line so lots of walk/trot/canter over poles is really doing him some good!

Domane - Jack is so funny! :giggle:

Included 3 today spread out down centre line, walked first then trot. She only stumbled the once.
Before box rest she could lunge ok over 5 trotting poles, has done little double with placing poles. She can jump ok and is happy to go over them. Just makes less effort in walk.

Last edited:
Oh my goodness Domane!!! That's a big jump over a little pole. lol
I walk over trotting poles but I set them at different distances for walking vs trotting.
And I call them Cavaletti. Ours are adjustable for height based on how you role them

At our school they are used for jumps but are called ground poles - we work with them in walk or in ground work - in anything really.
Lovely pic of horse jumping there - but terrifying - I dont jump and as a New Rider was always terrified my horse out hacking might decide to jump some obstacle like a fallen branch or even a ditch.

newrider.com