Doctor has scared me now! :(

MissMare

Mar 6, 2008
Me and my husband got back from Ibiza the other day.

Last night we were sat on the sofa still itching bites all over, sneezing, coughing and generally feeling unwell. Thinking about it, neither of us have been right since we got drunk, wondered around the salt flats and pine forest near a beach went home and woke up the next day covered in bites (Saturday), itching like mad and generally feeling unwell (blamed it on a hangover) the bites are still itchy now and have little flare ups where they go all swollen.

I did symptom checker on NHS direct last night and a message came up saying they needed to speak to me. Phoned me up and said went through loads of checks - said it wasn't anything serious but if we still felt ill by the morning to get a blood test. Phoned my docs this morning (spoke to receptionist) who said we could go tomorrow. Tbh, we are getting worse. OH has just left work to get a thermometer- both fevering up now. I am in the middle of nowhere and only nearby thermometer is at the stables and has been up horses bums :inlove: Also, my eyes burn and throat is starting to close up- throat started hurting a few days ago.

But, doctors, having spoken to receptionist at lunch time, has phoned up and wants us in this afternoon (rec said they only do bloods in the morning then send to the lab :/) So just waiting for OH to get back and then off we go. I didn't think much of it but now getting worried they are going to lock us up in a hospital... who will look after the animals :(

Oh dear :( Let me know how you get on.

OH came back from Ibiza about 10 days ago and has come up in lots of itchy bites over the past couple of days, strange thing is that I haven't and I'm always the first to be bitten, I don't think he's had any other symptoms though??

Oh dear - very glad you are now being seen by the docs this afternoon - I would be worried to - but then I am a worry wort lately so just ignore that!:redface:

Hopefully it may be something that just needs a course of antibiotics?

Is there anyone who could do the animals for you in an emergency situation like this - just in case they take you both in for observation? If |I was near you would volunteer in a flash but sadly Im not.

Lots of healing vibes and let us know how it goes.:frown:

Healing and chill out vibes. Hope you feel lots better soon, it prob needs something strong to treat it, could just be a virus. Fingers crossed you are well again soon. Hope you manage to sort something with the horses.

Thanks everyone, just spoken to a local friend who is now on standby, kindly offered to have the dog too and my neighbour/god daughter on standby for the others. Nice having good people around, really feel at home in this village :)

Just hope it isn't serious now :( think I feel worse now I am thinking about it.

Ahh MissMare glad you have sorted out the animals and fingers crossed the bloods come back ok.

Animals are such a worry at times like this. I keep my 3 horses at home along with dog, cat, bearded dragon and gerbils. If I'm ill luckily OH will try to help but he doesn't really do horses I try to keep them living out as much as possible as this helps loads.

You are very lucky having friends like you have.

Sorry for not replying everyone, not been online all day. We are fine. Well still a bit poorly but not dying!

He gave us steroids to stop the reaction to the bites (bit unexplained why we both had such a nasty reaction- still itching a week later) he then said we could have caught something from the bites, but because we haven't got a severe headache- it is unlikely to be anything serious.

So, we have had blood tests for Maleria, full blood count to check if we are fighting something and some other things I can't remember and were free to go and infect everyone in the village :redcarded:

Get results on Monday, in the mean time just been resting and actually feeling a better.

Lot1983- I wouldn't worry unless he is actually ill with it. The doctor said it is always advisable to have blood tests if you get bitten and then get ill, but just bites aren't usually a problem. If they are bothering him then I seriously advise getting one of these- http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zap-It-Mosq...MT0A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308940855&sr=8-1 someone lent one to us and we did an experiment with it. The bites that we zapped yesterday have calmed right down compared to the others and don't itch as much. The steroids have helped today I think too. :)

Thanks for all your concern everyone.

Those zap things are great, I got mine from boots. I get really bad swelling and infection from horseflies and one year I got bitten really bad. This zapped was the only thing that helped! Didnt stop me itching in my sleep though.

Glad to hear you both will be ok :)

newrider.com