does any one need showing tips?

copper76

Jan 15, 2002
berkS
Visit site
If anyone needs help with how to show their horses then let me know and I will try to help as its my favourite subject:
Turn out
tack
clothing
ringcraft
whatever!!

Yes Please!!!

I want to show my connie in M&M, Show Hunter. I think he may be a little too chunky for riding horse. He is 15.1 and registered as a partbred as I don't have his Dams papers. Can u suggest what I should do with him and any other tips!!!

Mandie

showing

If you show him as a hunter he will need to be plaited up,trimmed ect which will be incorrect for M&ms-is he hairy or is he trimmed??If you want to go for the m&ms then p'haps you could do ridden and working mountain and moorland for a bit of variety-you can have him hairy with no plaits.
If you show him in m&ms you cannot wear spurs so make sure he is forward from your leg.
Let me know what classes you decide is best and I will help you some more!!

He's slightly hairy at the mo but I do clip him in the winter. I also have pulled his mane which I know isn't in the rules!!! Problem is, I am going to start competing at dressage so can't have him hairy! Looks like the hunter classes. I don't like jumping though. Can I use a dressage saddle for showing?

Hunters

You can use the dressage saddle as long as it doesn't have long straps-if irt soes then use a g.p. saddle,no numnah,plain girth and eithetr a pelham with double reins or a double bridle.Make sure you have a plain flat browband and noseband.Make sure your stirrups are long enough for the judge and make sure your horse is used to different riders.
You will need him to trot up correctly in hand as well and be able to stand still in a line up for a long time.
If you look on the bhs website(www.bhs.org.uk) on the general webboards you will be able to see my hunter (Although he was in a r/c horse class in the photo hence the coloured browband!!)

showing

Hi!!firstly ,(not meaning to put you off) you need to decide whether your horse a hack or a hunter as she won't be both!If she is of heavier build then she would be better of in the hunter class,if very lightweight then the hack and if some where in the middle then she would be better in te riding horse classes.
For any of these classes a kimblewick would not usually be used-it is more correct either to where a double bridle or pelham with 2 reins.If you decide to do hunter classes the she will need a plain flat noesband and browband.If you decide on the riding horse or hack classes she will need a plain noseband but a coloured browband.You will need a plain black brown or leather girth and no numnah if pos-if she must weara numnah then it should be black or brown and fit the shape of her saddle.
The only class that a kimblewick would be more acceptable would be working hunter where you jump and any tack is permitted.
For the hack and riding horse classes your horse must be very well schooled./any thing else-just ask!!

Hi, she is a light throughbred so it will probably be hack classes. She isn't going well anymore in the kimblewick so i will be either using a snaffle or a full cheek french link, are these suitable for showing classes.
I also have a question for you, do you compete in unaffiliated showing or affiliated? It's just i showed my old pony and my moms ex-inhand show cob in unaffiliated mountain and moreland competitions. In one of the classes a girl came in on a very pretty, well schooled pony, but it was plaited up and done up as a riding pony more than a m&m pony. Does this happen alot, will the hairy ones always be overlooked for the sleek looking ones, even in a m&m class?

hi!!

I ride at County level as well as local level.At local level the rules tend to bit odd sometimes-true mountain and moorlands should be 'hairy' but still smart and tidy.they should not be plaited-that is a bit odd.
With regard to the bit the snaffle will be fine to start with but give her a try in the pelham with 2 reins or the double as this will be more acceptable.
Let me know how you get on!

Ridden Showing

hello!

Firstly, Copper76 are you going to the SORC show on Sunday? If so, see you there!

Secondly i have entered teh M&M ridden class there and i just can't remember what order everything goes in. I seem to remember (from a few years back) that we all ride round then are called in and do an individual ridden show, then do we all go large and get called in again for the horses to be stripped, I can't remember!

If you could give me a pointer that would be great, and hopefully see you on Sunday!

bye!

Hi Sarah,we are having a weekend at home this week.I am doing the team show jumping for Chiltern and Thames rider for a change at the yard where I keep my horse.You might have been there-Hall Place??
With regards to M&M-what you have said is correct-you all go in together,walk trot and canter,get pulled into a provisional line up and then do and individual show.You are then asked to strip your horse and trot it up in hand.Sometimes if there are tons in it they might split the class.I competed and Henley Show last year on a sec d(it was his 2nd show in his whole life) and there was about 40 in the class-it went on forever!!
Good luck on Sunday.

Hall Place

Is that the yard in Tilehurst with a tack shop at it? If so i do indeed know it and use the tack shop! I work just off Tilehurst Rd, but keep Tango in Finchampstead at Wheatlands Farm (Nicola Greenwood's place), do you know that yard?

anyway, thanks for the tips and good luck with the jumping.

bye!

i have 2 highland ponies who i want to show in the mountain and moorland classes they are both obviously highlands but not register will this mean im restricted to just local shows

Ok here's one for you.....do you know the correct turnout for an appaloosa in in hand classes?
I'm not sure about bridles/halters etc and correct turnout of mane and tail.....do I plait? Or leave it out?
Lol.....can you help me?

is this a coloured class or a breed class? in the uk, a coloured class (piebald, skewbald, spotted), plaits are correct with tail either pulled or plaited, in a bridle. breed classes might be different, particularly since you aren't in the uk. is there an appaloosa society, and has it got a website? they might have rules on what to wear.

hi there i was wondering weather you could help me?

i own a 16.2 coulerd gelding he i 3/4 irish cob and 1/4 sports hoese and has quite good breeding i always seem to get looked down at because he is hogged and trimmed i thught this was acceptable in hunter and plus he has splints i was always led to belive that splints in a hunter class should not go against you is this true?

thanx

the thing about splints is that they're a sign of less-than-perfect conformation in the leg - a well made leg should stand up to work without getting a splint. so they're a sign of weakness in the leg, which is why they're penalised. hunter classes are less hot on this than others, as a hunter has (if it actually hunts) more miles on the clock than a show horse, so is expected to pick up some lumps and bumps. they're less bothered about blemishes and scars, but splints aren't so good. not sure about the hogging, as i do natives, but i believe it's more for cobs.
mandie - there are loads of good books on showing, and there's one called showing native ponies
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1872082580/ref=sr_aps_books_1_1/202-4782750-6612666
here's the link to it on amazon. it has advice about everything.

What do I wear

Don't know if its going to happen yet, (nerves already setting in) but am thinking about entering a local show, but what do I wear, as an adult, long boots/short boots? is the other acceptable, what colour jacket? classes would be well not sure on that either yet, Riding Club horse possibly not sure whats on offer at the show, maybe a very very small workers class, all depends on how shaky I'm feeling and on what I have to wear as I have absolutly no show gear,
even simple things like shirt colours, the kids seem to be able to wear coloured one but what about adults,
Will no doubt be here again asking about classes when I get an idea of whats on offer,
Thank you
Hel

newrider.com