does any one need showing tips?

hi hel,
adults wear long boots, rubber is fine if you don't have leather, but not short boots. tweed jacket for most classes, and definitely for working hunter. i wear a white shirt, but i have seen people with coloured ones. a tie that goes with your jacket, mine's yellow with blue spots. cream/beige jods, people do wear canary yellow ones, but not my taste!

show hunter/ridden hunter classes

What is the difference between show hunter & ridden hunter classes, or are they different names for the same class? Also, whilst at Hickstead a few days ago I noticed all the ridden hunters had quarter marks, I thought that this wasn't the done thing for hunters. Lastly, is a show cane correct for hunter classes or should you carry a hunting whip. Thank you!

a show hunter is slightly finer, edging towards riding horse territory, and i believe they come down harder on blemishes, as a horse that actually hunts is bound to get a few cuts and scrapes. i tihnk the quarter marks thing depends on the section - i don't think heavyweight hunters have them. not 100% sure though, and i'm afraid i can't help with the cane/whip thing.

M&Ms

Yes help please!
Im looking for a Connemara or New Forest or Welsh C/D to do workers and ridden with. It probably sounds like a strange question but what sort of colour shirt and tie should I wear 4 M&M or can I be as adventurus as I want??!!

i show new forests, and i wear a plain white shirt (because i got them from marks and spencer and that was all they had!) boss wears blue pinstriped shirt, and i know people who wear green or yellow stripes. wear a tie that goes with your hacking jacket - i have a yellow one with blue spots, and boss has a similar one. i wear a fawny jacket, hers is darker. be bold - it'll get you noticed! (and get a new forest - they're by far the best m&m!)

my boss is 5'8 and one of her stallions is 13.1! you might have to come a bit further south, as most of the studs are near the new forest, but there are plenty of up-to-height ones around.have a look at www.newforestpony.com which is the breed society site, they have links to various stud web pages. offhand i can think of www.farriersnewforestponies.co.uk and www.merriestud.co.uk .
it's nearly all adults in the new forest showing scene, and most of them are taller than me (i'm 5'2).

General Showing Help!

I have recentley bought a 153cms Show Hunter, Bay, Mare.
I am going to do show hunter classes not exc 153cms and hopfully some working hunter but!!!

I dont really know what bridle or bit to use, for example which reins;
- Plaited
- Plain
- Half Rubber??

Also, what about my bridle?
- Brown with white stitching
- Thick noseband
- Raised Brown Band?

Bitt? She is currently in a hanging cheek french link but i dont know wether to use a;
- Rugby Pelham
- Double Bridle
- Showing Pelham
- French Link Pelham??

Also, what tie, show cane, hat, coloured gloves?
I have a tweed show jacket, yellow shirt and red tie with yellow spots; is this correct?
Do i have to wear long boots? Or is it ok to use jodpur boots with clips?

I dont know which show cane either;
-Plain
-Plain with gold ball on each end
-A sort of wooden one lol

Gloves?
-Yellow?
-Brown?

Hat?
-Tall Crown
-Standard size? (Hoping they have to be blue)

And finally, should i wear a like fluffy rimmed brown numnah or just a plain one? or none?

And also any tips?
For example; enhancing black bits?
- any particluar good hoof polish
- any body polish?
- anything for her tail?

I really need help; just need those sort of tips that really make you stand out from the others and catch the judges eye!

Even if you could just give me a few answers..you would be a great help!

I know i sound like a real novice..just want to make sure everything is as it should be! Would be fab if anyone with SUCCESFUL SHOWING EXPERIENCE THEMSELVES could help thankss!!!!! xxx

We used to show Show Hunter/ working hunter ponies at county level until SFS got too old!!

I would show a 153 SH in a brown double bridle with plain leather, no white stitching or raising and the width to suit your ponies head. I personally prefer the half lined rubber grip reins that look like plain leather from the ground. Very discrete numnah if you really need it. Keep 'make up' to a minimum, hoof varnish will level up odd coloured feet but a good well fed and groomed coat will beat all the coat gloss in the world! Get really good at plaiting, well turned out plaits can make or break presentaion.

Tweed and shirts sounds OK but as most riders in 153 will be 18 -20ish long leather boots will be better and .... personal hate .... never wear clips in the ring, sew on elastic if you really need it. Plain show cane, or hunting crop (like whip without the thong), brown gloves , blue velvet hat with flesh coloured straps provided it goes with your jacket.

For workers substitute the bridle your horse goes best in !

Could You Posss Please Give me Some Tips On Showing , i Would love to Do Showing With my Beautifull Coloured, But i Do Not No What You Do When you have to do the individual Show ?

x

ok...

I just got a ISH, who is really a TB with wide chest. He is 13yo, wasnt ridden well, but we are working on it, but he is lovelly confirmation, beautiful movement and loves jumping, so idea is to go for a lightweight hunter and later working hunter. I hav never done shows before. any advise, wheere to start? what to work at? (well ok genrall dressage and jumps over natural looking fences, introduce new places, people and get used to grooming)

Super thanks

Can I sugest a new thread valentina? This is an old one from 2002 originally.

If you pop it in the showing section of the forum (this is in other diciplines) then you'll get all the lovely showing peeps rush to your aid as they'll be monitoring the showing section :D

newrider.com