Does anyone drive bitless?

Some shows and driving events are still funny about it.

I'm not sure we'll ever get that far :happy:

Just pottering round the lanes..

Wally while you are on here, you may have missed my post about my new pony.. I wanted a few suggestions of 'driving specific' things to do with a 2 year old.. Voice, groundwork, traffic etc I had some good responses but know you drive shetlands so your imput would also be valued.. :happy:

I did when I broke june a few years ago but we never left the farm, just in a headcollar with reins attatched like a side pull. we did also drive blinkerless with no issues

IS there any reason you need to drive bitless? Remember if you need to use a blinkered bridle the noseband is also needed to stabilise the cheeks to keep the blinkers in place.

Some ponies will not go blinkerless. so you'll need to kake sure whatever bridle you use has a noseband that is going to give you the blinker security neccessary and the steering you need.

Muddiboots has another thread on the Driving pages about her new youngster and his potential training path.

2 yo is very young to start anything to do with driving IMHO.

Oh god I didnt intend driving him till 5ish..sorry if I gave the wrong impression..

I just meant as a 'potential' driving pony what experiences would be most usefull..on the ground, in hand etc..

Seems like I am doing all the right things so far..

Thanks everyone, especially bitless people..sorry I hijacked my own thread..

Take him to inhand shows, not to compete seriously, just to teach him manners & patience, teach him that tents, cars, people, pushchairs, dogs, flappy things, noisy things, odd things are nothing to fear, The more he sees in had the less he will fear and the more he will trust you.If he trusts you training him to pull a cart will be chicken feed.

I did for a while with the small pony, she was in a crosspull (blinkerless as she disliked the blinkers). Now she just makes herself useful dragging fence posts up the field for me and will eventually harrow the field for me when I get another harrow sorted.

Mine has, I continued with some driving lessons for him even though I had very little intention to buy a cart and continue, I was just desperate for something to do with him. He is ridden both bitted and bitless, but is more responsive bitless we discovered when put to the trap.

My Driving Instructor, butchered a driving bridle she had (blinkered) and we made one up, he went fantastically in it. Have tried driving with an unblinkered bridle and he was ok, but was a lot more confident blinkered. So we did a bit with him around the forest in a bitless blinkered bridle but as I say it was my instructors, I wish had the time and some where to store a cart as I would have definately followed it up, my horses LOVES driving and goes so much nicer than under saddle - says a lot about my riding I think (!) !!

Mine has, I continued with some driving lessons for him even though I had very little intention to buy a cart and continue, I was just desperate for something to do with him. He is ridden both bitted and bitless, but is more responsive bitless we discovered when put to the trap.

Thats interesting..

My Driving Instructor, butchered a driving bridle she had (blinkered) and we made one up, he went fantastically in it. Have tried driving with an unblinkered bridle and he was ok, but was a lot more confident blinkered. So we did a bit with him around the forest in a bitless blinkered bridle but as I say it was my instructors, I wish had the time and some where to store a cart as I would have definately followed it up, my horses LOVES driving and goes so much nicer than under saddle - says a lot about my riding I think (!) !!
I know someone who's cob drove all his life (18) and was only broken to ride recently, much more excitable being driven, he loves it!!
Thanks for the bitless vote :happy:
By the time my boy is broken to drive, things may be as liberal as string round the neck and a skateboard behind!! JOKE!!!:giggle:

newrider.com