Does anyone else get saw knees after riding?

horse_converted

Oct 30, 2006
Brisbane Queensland
Hi i am having lessons twice a week now. after i do my rising trot still learning at it. when i get off and start walking my knees hurt and if i have to skwot i am so much pain. i have bad knees from dirt bike riding for ten years. ( getting to personal with the ground lol) I am wondering if anyone els has trouble with bad knees? if so is there ecercises that can help that?

i dont get sore knees only aching in the inside of my legs!! maybe try and get a knee support from boots they come in all sorts of sizes and strengths etc.

I've been riding for about 2 years now and never had this happen...until this Thursday night in my Jump class!

I just attributed to too much 2-point (say that fast!) over the hour lesson, but I think I may have been pinching with my knees a bit. Make sure that no matter how much you use those thigh and calf muscles, keep the knees relaxed and only use them as shock absorbers, if that makes sense.

Ask your RI, too...might have a different perspective. :)

Yes, I do because I've got arthritis in my knees from all the walking (and riding) that I've done and am still doing.​

no i haven't used any supports before. yeah i asked my ri if i could lower my stirps. i told her about my bad knees and that. i tryed that but my rising trott went to the toilet lol. so she said to help with my kness we will do more sitting trott instead and that will help with my knees and my legs being in the right place so i can get the rising trott with out to much pain. i will still b doing some rising trott too she said.it has been good until the last few weeks too which is strange

it may be that you are just using muscles that havent been used for a while and they are getting a bit strained, I have heard pilates (sp?) is good? I have just got one of the balls but keep falling off :eek: :mad: :rolleyes: :D

my knee liggerments are not too good. my knee locks up when the bone sometimes tuches each other. ( not good fealing trust me lol ) i have tryed one of those balls but i just ended up on the floor lol :D :D :D :D

My knees hurt if I am riding a horse that is very round shaped. Maybe it is because in order for me to give signs with my legs my knees have to bend sideways, and especially my right one hurts, and getting off the horse/walking has to be done very carefully till the leg has sorted itself out. On a narrow horse I don't have that problem.

Nina x

I have a knackered knee so that does hurt a bit over the winter and spring when I start riding regular again but I found that both hurt when my stirrups are too short and I ride like that for longperiods.

Nikki xxxx

ps tubigrips are gr8 in helping to keep joints feeling ok!!!

I do if ive gripped with my knees...naughty me. Lol. And if my stirups are too short.
Taking glucosamine has helped as my joints are generally crap lol

Thanks everyone! for your advice. I will let you know how i get on in the future. I am doing two lessons a week so i am hoping that will help with my knees to get stronger I hope lol. i will just put up with the pain though don't want to give up that is for sure lol :D

Sprenger or similar type stirrups really help!

Even though you are riding at RS they should let you put your own stirrups on if it helps.

They're not cheap but they really help my knees, I couldn't do a 2-3 hour fun ride in 'normal' stirrups, and having them short for jumping is the worst thing!

I only have one pair so am forever swapping them between saddles (we have 2 horses with 4 saddles!) but refuse to ride without them.

Ginger Thing's spot on about the stirrups. I smashed up my knee a couple of years back (came off my bike, nothing as exciting as what you do though - I was on my way to work!). I was really worried that I might not be able to ride afterwards, the docs were pretty downbeat about it all. Fortunately it's recovered very well but it still gets sore. Bendy stirrups are fab, there are cheapo ones now - mine cost £25 - and if you want to avoid faffing, get some leathers too & it's easy to whip off the RS kit & whack yours on before you ride. Added bonuses are not having to spend ages getting stirrups to the correct length & knowing your leathers are in good nick & won't break at an inconvenient moment. Also, if your knees are starting to ache, pop your feet out the irons & give your legs a good wave around to loosen them up. I find taking glucosamine & cod liver oil is really good to keep your knee joints 'sound' too. Good luck, pesky knees!

hi iron maidon. it is funny my knees don't hurt if i go for a trail ride. only when i am in my lesson. but i would say that is becuase i have my stirps longer though. I have now given up the bikes. but am now totally hooked on horse riding. My RI said that my knees should get stronger. to help them we are working on my sitting trott more so i only do a little of rising trott each lesson. Thank you for your help. take care of your knee!

newrider.com