Does anyone else's horse get a touch of Dehli Belly?

MadMumInKent

Feb 27, 2005
Kent
The paddocks at the yard are all split up into sections, and the horses are rotated every few days. The grass at the moment in some of the paddocks is lovely and long and lush, and when Pumpkin goes into one of these paddocks, he gets the runs big time. It literally splashes up the walls :rolleyes: I know its the rich grass that does it, as when he's moved back onto the sparser fields, he's back to normal again, so it seems his belly just can't cope with the lush stuff. Just wondered if this is something to worry about, or whether its normal :confused: The other horses on the yard sometimes get a bit loose when on the richer grass, but nothing like Pumpkin. I like to keep him on the short stuff now so avoid this problem, but just wondered if I should be worried.
Cheers! :)

My girl is terrible :(

Over the past 10 days she's had the runs on and off.

I think it may be due to the rich juicy grass we have at the moment but can't be sure. I'm going to call the vet tomorrow for some advice.

Pre/probiotics seem to help, but there are times when it gets too much.

Yes, ours get it, but it's not too dramatic, the droppings are just a bit soft.
Not like Delhi Belly though because it's no sort of infection - either their digestion takes a while to adjust to the new grass, or else they eat it too fast without chewing it properly ... I'm not sure which!

Linda

Captain used to be rotated around fenced off areas and everytime he would get a bit greener poo and a bit softer. But he settled well. I think most horses get it. They can often get it when you change your hay as well.

Thanks everyone, he does now tend to have only a very short time on the nice grass. I put him on the short grass yesterday and he stood by the gate all on his own, looking forlorn :rolleyes: Mum, you wicked wicked woman. How could you leave me here on my own, on this rubbish grass, without my friends???? :D

Thanks for putting my mind at rest that he's not the only one!

My mare’s droppings are quite loose at the best of times but as soon as there is the slightest change in the grass (e.g. it becoming richer or more plentiful), I know because it goes straight to her bottom too!

I use a product called Vita-Biotic by Equine America, it’s really good, and within a few days of using it her droppings look more like they come from a horse and less like cow pats!

newrider.com