Does anyone enjoy reading horse ads.

tikkitti

Mar 8, 2015
Hi, Yes I know I may be strange as I'm happy with my little bunch ATM and don't have any intention of buying another(even if free to good home) but I do and always have enjoyed reading through horse/pony ads, I don't ring up or contact seller but just read through them. Its like been on a diet and looking at the desert menu, but I wonder if anyone else likes reading the horse ads or is it juste who's a bit strange:)

I also do not have the slightest interest in buying anymore horses, but have to confess I do stalk the for sale ads over here, and even lurk around some of the better horse sales from time to time. And spend the odd hour or two with some breeder/dealer friends over here. My family think I am totally mad, but I just call it keeping my finger on the pulse 'just in case' - just in case of what I have absolutely no idea! ;)

Reactions: tikkitti
I'm glad I'm not the only one, must admit I don't know why I do it, although it sort of paid off when I bought my last horse because I knew he had been for sale for months and was sold from the field, I made a cheeky offer and she accepted. He's probably one of the best buys I have ever had and Id love him to be my forever horse so I suppose that could be justification enough. x

Another one guilty as charged...
I find it's much like trawling through houses online that you're not in the market for. :rolleyes:
Oh, I do that at times too when Ive gone through all the horse ads, Id love to be in the village close to my parents/horses so window shop regularly online.x

No never unless looking for a friend.

I have never been in a good finical position to be able to buy what I would really like (we are not talking big money here) so I don't look.

I got horse envy when I was looking for @squidsin and another friend.

But I just had to make do with a rehomer and work my butt off and hope fingers crossed that they could do what I wanted them for, knowing full well if they couldn't I still would not part with them:)

Reactions: Ruskii and tikkitti
Sometimes though its not what they cost but what they mean to you. I sold my warmblood for more than I paid for my cob, but my warmblood loved competing and needed daily work, I can honestly say my cobs worth his weight in gold to me now.Years ago I saw a girl buy a very well known pony for big money, it was expected she would do well ( all teenagers I knew including myself were so jealous)as the pony was the bees knees, on the first outing they demolished the track they were jumping and every outing was the same. It made me realise sometimes what a horse cost wasn't as important as how well a rider/ horse worked together. x

Most of ours have found us by word of mouth, occasionally people will draw our attention to ads which we buy from ( the NR Lincolnshire three being a good example!) Some of ours come from a local dealer who lets us have them on a trial for a week or so..Daughter schools her young competition horses so we tend to get first pick of the cheaper 'trade' ones!!

I don't tend to look unless someone asks me to, the problem being I can get a bit impulsive and before I knew it I would have another 5!

I don't tend to look unless someone asks me to, the problem being I can get a bit impulsive and before I knew it I would have another 5!
I have to operate a strict one out, one in policy now and at times I have a real heart vs head battle going on especially when I know someone who works for whw:):) x

Reactions: Jessey
I ended up with a cob colt last summer, he was skinny, riddled with lice and worms and I knew it wouldn't get treated where he was. Having a colt around my hormonal mare was less than sensible but we managed until he was looking better then I found him a new home :D

I am a member of at least 8 facebook groups that I joined while searching for a horse. I found my Gracie in one of those groups. I couldn't bring myself to go to the auctions...terrible, terrible things happen at the horse auctions here. My heart would be bleeding for months if I had to witness those things firsthand.
Recently the groups have been all but taken over by the kill buyers. The new tactic of the kill buyers is to show a beautiful and healthy-looking, but terrified looking horse with something like..."Give me $500 for this horse or it goes on the truck to Mexico!"
On one hand I tell myself I should leave the groups, my soft heart can't take it. One the other hand, I have warned more than one unsuspecting individual that the person asking to buy their horse is a kill buyer. It's something I struggle with every day.

I am guilty of going to the new forest pony sales and thinking 'Oh but just that little one.' then I tell myself off for thinking that and force myself to look at other things.

One day I'll buy an NF pony maybe ...

Oh I do to even before I started horse riding I did, just to Imagine the horse how it'll be to , i loved It when i looked i still do look to be honest but I'm guilty of looking at kittens and dogs to. I won't stop looking to if I could I would buy one to I just know it when I look but right now, yeah sense would kick In saying wait a bit longer ! :D

Guilty as charged im afraid!

Found the most beautiful dun/white mare who looked identical to Moet just 10years younger with some white splashes to the shoulder and rump. I WANT HER! I really really really want her, but def can't currently :( my OH has now said strictly 1 in and 1 out with my horses from now on booooo

Guilty as charged im afraid!

Found the most beautiful dun/white mare who looked identical to Moet just 10years younger with some white splashes to the shoulder and rump. I WANT HER! I really really really want her, but def can't currently :( my OH has now said strictly 1 in and 1 out with my horses from now on booooo
Oh go on show us her!

newrider.com