Does anyone ever feel like this?

Meovcorz

Mar 5, 2007
Queensland, Australia
I just feel absolutely horrible - I went for a SHORT ride on Wednesday last week, it was only about a half hour, and I have had a horribly sore back since, and only walked and did a VERY LITTLE trotting. And I am sitting in absolute pain right now. I feel horrible. It's just not fair that I can't ride without being in pain later :(. It just makes me feel so sad 'cause I do want to ride - really but every time I ride - I get off really really sore. NOT FAIR!

After slipping a disc last year I’ve had on and off back problems. Never felt such pain before.

I have had days when it has been really sore after riding but for me I know that activity is the best thing so keeping active really helps I just have to get through the pain barrier so to say.

You been to your doctor at all about

Actually I am about to go and get it X-rayed because it's at a stage now it's obvioiusly something more - I mean It's been over a year since the problem came up, and I don't ride because of it. Am really going to check in to it now, it's just so annoying.

Actually I walk a few Kilometre's every day, so it's just not like I don't do anything, and I handle that okay, it's just when I hop on a horse.

I am sure I don't feel the pain you felt with haivng a Slipped Disk, but it's just annoying to just have this every time - and to have headaches that are just sitting there all day.

But you do know what I really am doing. whinging

Its good to have a moan tho :) so don't worry espcially in relation to being in pain

Do you get the same pin when sitting on a chair at all?

You could even have a little hair line fracture there

Hope x rays give you some answers that in turn will help you get back riding comfortably

Edit: was meant to say i did get headaches. docs said to me was due to a trapped nerve. sciatic nerve - created leg pain as well (Sciatica)

Last edited:
Aww you poor thing :(

Well done for riding him :D I'm so proud of you!!

I only have back pain if I don't ride for a week or 2 but nothing like your experiencing. Sounds horrible.

I have basically the same problem, but i'm used to the pain now, so it doesnt hurt me anymore.. Also it hurts no matter what i do, whether i swim, play basketball or do nothing!!

Its because i have a fused spine. So horse riding is good for it!! And it doesnt hurt as much anymore because i use the muscles all the time when riding!!

good luck with it!! I hope you find a logical explanation and can continue riding!!

sorry if this is a silly question or you've discussed it on another thread, but what tack do you use? When I was riding RS horses all the time I always had lower back and knee pain, and just put up with it figuring it went with the hobby and my age. It was a typical RS, using standard GP saddles with drum-tight leather seats and solid metal stirrups. Looking back, I think a huge part of my problems was just down to lack of shock absorbers! Now I ride treeless, with a HM hipsaver (same as a seat saver, just different shape) and use flexi stirrups, and everything is a thousand times more comfortable.

If you haven't already done, it may be worth having a play with things like seatsavers to see if it makes a difference for you too.

It's alright, I feel like virtually every post I've made this week has been whinging about my health :eek: I'm not a complete misery, I promise! :D

Personally, I would take things easy until your x-rays. Until you know what you're dealing with, you don't know if you're making it worse.
I feel horrible. It's just not fair that I can't ride without being in pain later . It just makes me feel so sad 'cause I do want to ride - really but every time I ride - I get off really really sore. NOT FAIR!
It is completely normal to be frustrated - honest ;) I'm sure most of my friends and colleagues, who think I cope really well with my disability and it's limitations, would be shocked if they saw me at home on an evening, wailing because everything hurts and it's not fair. The other classic is "why can't I be normal?!" :eek:
Sometimes you need to let these feeling out, and while our rational minds say we're being silly or childish and moaning about things we can't control, I actually think a bit of release is really important from time to time. My latest sob was because I wanted to wear some pretty sleeves to a party last night, but had to wear my thumb splints and the sleeves didn't fit over the splints at the wrist. It was so silly, but it reduced me to tears!

I agree with Molly34 about tack making a big difference. Even something as simple as the length of my stirrups can have a knock on effect for pretty much every part of my body. If I ride too short, it pushes my ankles into a painful position, which hurts my knee, which hurts my hip, which makes me sit oddly and hurts my back...

Once your x-rays are done, and you know what the problem is and how best to deal with it, hopefully your doctor will be able to suggest things you can do, such as to medicate for the pain, use a back or shoulder support to keep your spine in the correct position, etc.
Good luck for your x-rays :D

You are not alone! :)

I ride so infrequently now, it makes me really quite depressed - I have a lovely Welsh D who is 'retiring' but loves hacking out, a super cob who is REALLY wide - but fab at jumping, and my young mare who I am starting at dressage with..... I rode an Interdressage test last month, I remember when, because my dad was here - it was 2 July. I then didn't ride until the day before yesterday. When I'm actually on the horse, depending on what saddle/tack arrangement I have, I'm not too sore, but when I dismount (which usually takes at least 2 other people!) I can barely move. It's very frustrating, and it does help to have a moan about it!!

I spoke to my 91 year old granny on the phone in the UK this morning - we were comparing walking sticks - I'm SADLY NOT JOKING!! At least we can have a laugh about it!

I hope your doctor can help you - I really need an op on my hips, but I'm sorry, there's NO WAY I trust hospitals anymore!!! The rest of me is trashed from a car accident, general poor health and a shoulder injury!!

*Sez* - I know the feeling....Yesterday I was sitting outside on the steps and my mate Paul said ' Are you OK ? ' - I hate saying no...but.... 'NO! - I'm just sore and in pain and tired of it!!!!!' GGGgggrrrrrrrr!! :mad:

I want to ride every day. I probably could physically sit on a horse every day - but the requirement of moving around for the rest of the week stops me! I don't really think riding a horse, then laying on the sofa for the rest of the day is the way I want to live!

Hey Nookster...?? Did you say your sciatica gave you headaches? I get sciatic nerve probs cos of my hips, and also get the most blinding headaches, always in the same place in the left side of my head, and the left side of my back goes numb! It's been like it for 17 years - since my car accident - and the chiro or osteopath are the only ones who can 'release the pressure' and get rid of the headaches quickly! Never really thought that maybe my hips cause the back prob, and this causes the headaches! We are a messed up bunch aren't we!! We need a virtual NR chiropractor!!!! :D

Good luck with your xrays, meovcorz, I hope your doc sorts your problems. :)

I fell off a couple of weeks ago, landed on my behind and must have jarred the base of my spine because although the bruises have gone its still tender. I tried riding last weekend but couldnt, too uncomfortable.
I cant see any point in going to the doctors now, I'm doctor phobic anyway.
I am getting really fed up because I cant ride at the moment. I could I suppose but I dont want to aggrevate what ever is wrong with me, and I can empathise with all you people who have long term problems.
I dont suppose anyone knows how long it takes for my type of injury to heal?
I also have headaches this week but I thought it was due to the humid weather and being fed up I cant remember having them last week so I dont think they are related to my injury but who knows!
Anyway I hope you all feel better soon>

Echo the different tack idea and defo a seat saver. As I was trotting the coloured for the vet yesterday, I felt my groin kind of loosen and strain on both sides-ouch! Love the flexi stirrups idea....:D Hope things get sorted soon.

Hope things become settled fairly quicly.

My first thought was tack too. I sufer with my back and have a dodgy knee that sometimes just gives on me or refuses to bend so I trip up a lot.

I use a dressage saddle (well it has a dressage tree and is VSD cut) I would not be without my HM seatsaver and my flexi stirrups either.

:-O Me too!

Ever since June, when I noticed a twinging back after lying around revising all day, every day, and maybe over-stretching it, it had ached and twinged. Sometimes I can't sleep because of it and when I sit down for any length of time it even makes one of my hips/legs ache near the top, too. I can never get comfortable.
Last week, having ridden - I knwo riding puts a lot of stress on the back, but we were only in walk! - for an hour or so, I was in agony. I could barely sit or stand, or move. It lasted for about 3 days and then it was back to the normal aching ... I'm only 16, eek! It's good to know i'm not the only one though!

Last edited:
Hey Nookster...?? Did you say your sciatica gave you headaches? I get sciatic nerve probs cos of my hips, and also get the most blinding headaches, always in the same place in the left side of my head, and the left side of my back goes numb! It's been like it for 17 years - since my car accident - and the chiro or osteopath are the only ones who can 'release the pressure' and get rid of the headaches quickly! Never really thought that maybe my hips cause the back prob, and this causes the headaches! We are a messed up bunch aren't we!! We need a virtual NR chiropractor!!!! :D

Good luck with your xrays, meovcorz, I hope your doc sorts your problems. :)

Hi :)

Yup my GP said that the two can be connected.

I also was taking cocodamol (sp?) for pain relief for my back and leg pains - turns out the Codeine contained in these tablets if used for a given time can also give you headaches.

Hi!

Your doc's obviously better than my old quack, Nookster!! ;)

I am limited what I can take regarding pain-killers as I have a heart arrythmia which is affected by lots of pain-killer ingredients! I can't win! (I can't have chocolate either, amongst other things, so can't even cheer myself up with a choccy-high!!!) :rolleyes::mad:

I do rely too much on Ibuprofen, which I believe actually make my headaches worse, so I understand the codeine thing. I try not to take painkillers, but sometimes, I just can't bear the pain. I've been bad for many years. When my poor late mum was terminally ill, I used to beg her morphine off her!!! Never let me have it, wise woman, but I just couldn't find anything to stop the pain. I reckon I need taking apart and re-building properly! :D

Regarding tack, I too prefer a dressage saddle, sometimes a Western, or riding bareback on my bareback pad! Without stirrups is definately more comfy for me. And I too LOVE my HM seatbone saver!!! And Paul, being a saddler and able to make anything I want - as long as I don't mind waiting AGES for it :rolleyes:, has made me some special stirrup leathers that help me a lot. But on an interesting note, I didn't get on with the flexi-stirrups at all! I get pain all down my legs, and hoped they would help, but I just didn't like them!

Ahh.............. Good some whinging! Maye we need to start a Sore back whinging Group :D.

Nice to hear that someone else has it worse and I am actually am really well off :D. LOL

Yeah, I really want to get it checked out - it's partly stress related as well. You know I know that headache thing I have tried the REALLY strong Painkillers for a headache - and I didn't get ANY pain relief - that is if my headache is coming from my back. The other thing I have done is have Quadrupal strength coffee (disgusting yes - but that is what i am used to now and I never have coffee anyway) but the cafeine hit puts you on a high so you can get through a few hours of it and then once you come off you feel like killing somebody :D.

I think I AM going to start a Group called the Back whingers :D.

Any body else who wants to whinge is VERY welcome too.

Meant to say - will have to look into getting a Seat saver. And I ride in a Stock Saddle which should go to the dump - it's not mine, but that's my personal opinion :D.

Your definetly NOT alone! I struggle alot with it after my auto accident. I have constant sciatica pain going down either leg, I get at least one headache a day, my neck is always throbing and sore. Massage therapists can't touch my legs as it causes so much pain for me. I am always taking a pain killer, I have to before the end of the day otherwise if I lie down I can't get back up without taking forever as the pain is so intense and shooting.

Fun yes? :( I have had lots of people ask me why I can't ride and instead of the obvious my horse is lame response, I have recently come to the conclusion that its so much easier to just say my back hurts like HELL! That way my horse doesn't get bashed, just me! :D

See what your doc says, I have had facet injections done, horrible experience and I am going in for a radio frequency on my neck aka burning the nerves. Which should end my neck pain for a couple years, but I will be in misery with the worst 'sunburn' of my life kinda thing for three weeks after the procedure. Massage helps me quite a bit, PT doesn't do much, chiro just plain doesn't work at ALL. So no you are not alone.

Thankyou BR, I go on Horse Forums, and I can't even talk about Riding, and I would love to post progress, and it's actually been quite usefull in the past because people always ask me - so have you been on you horse lately - when he is not really at a stage where someone can just come and pop on him - he's just to scared of it all, and they always tell me how I need to sell him and Bladybladybla.............. of everything that I do - but I say no my back's just not up to it and they go "oh that's no good, and you can't go riding when you've got a back problem, or else you might just hurt yourself really bad and that 'aint good." But if I said "no I can't really get on him because of Confidence and I need some one else to ride him" they say, " well I guess I could ride him" (AND I DO NOT WANT THAT! but that's a whole other issue :rolleyes:) or "well I guess you could sell him to whoever" Someone whom I DO NOT want to sell him to let alone sell him - okay now I am whinging.

If you read all that your a saint, and deserve Virtual Cookies. And Whine, and yes I mean Whine, as well as Wine. And I think we need all the virtual back fixer guys we can get :D.

Last edited:
newrider.com