Does anyone know how to remove hair on the side of the face of a young Gypsy Vanner?

TerriNoel

Oct 22, 2020
I am buying my first horse in 45 years.. She is a baby Gypsy Vanner.. perfect conformation, good genes, BUT the gene for feathering also governs facial beards!!! I want to remove just the facial hair on the side of her face.. Any ideas?? HELP!!

Those little blades you can get for shaving cat hairs? Never used one myself having an un-hairy type so not sure what density of hair they can cope with, but they're popular bits of kit on our yard.

Like this

I have hairy cobs but can't abide beards personally. I much prefer a neat, defined head. I trim mine (mine as in my horses, not mine personally ?) periodically with scissors. Much quieter than clippers with a youngster. They can often take exception to clippers when young, but mature out of it.

Reactions: Huggy
Mine hasn't grown hers this year. ;)

I think my question to the op would be why have you got a young horse as a first horse.

I've a hairy Irish cob, and the only bit I trim on his face is under his chin, because it's hard to do up his bridle. Otherwise, it's just a tad off his feathers when he's in danger of treading on them. Live with the hairiness for a year, and you might grow to love it -it's part and parcel of their unique look. I love it, but that's just me.

Reactions: Trewsers
I trim off the cat hairs and beard by lightly using the thing @Bodshi mentioned, just be careful to use it very lightly and in the direction of the hair or you'll cut into the coat too and make a mess.

Mine hasn't grown hers this year. ;)

I think my question to the op would be why have you got a young horse as a first horse.
I wonder how young? I have to say, my first horse was Ramsey, and he was only 4 - only been backed and turned away, and I dont regret it for a moment - we grew together and it just worked for both of us. I couldnt have coped with anything unbroken, and confess, I did call him a baby. Maybe OPs is that sort of age?

Just because it's the first horse someone's owned doesn't mean it's the first one they've cared for, they could have had long term loans or something similar in the past.

Reactions: PePo
I guess they could be going to show it as a youngster. Maybe its not permitted in that showing class.

I trim under the chin of my cobs with the scissors normally. If im clipping the one lad i will clip under the chin with the clippers too. In between clips its scissored off. Purely as it interfers with the bridle and tacking up.
If the whiskers round the side of the nose interfer with the bridle i will cut, generally they stay long though. They would still be at least 1cm plus long.

Reactions: Huggy
I've a hairy Irish cob, and the only bit I trim on his face is under his chin, because it's hard to do up his bridle. Otherwise, it's just a tad off his feathers when he's in danger of treading on them. Live with the hairiness for a year, and you might grow to love it -it's part and parcel of their unique look. I love it, but that's just me.
I haven't touched her feathers yet. Maybe "touches wood" it's because it's not been that wet yet.
The front tuft I might remove because that used to get mud clogged underneath, but will wait and see. They seem to fan out so she doesn't step on them, but you have way more hair than we do.

Hogans feathers are very very thick, particularly on his back legs. The farrier tuts and sighs while he's trimming his feet.

I had to trim billys a couple of months ago as they were really long under his feet. So to make sure that wasnt causing a issue to his lameness and rule out an issue there they got trimmed. I also noticed on the backs under neath his fetlocks he had thick tacky clumps of hair stuck together, i tried to brush them out but to no avail so in the end i chopped out the entire clump. Youd never know though as his long feather over the top which reached the floor i never touched so completely covered the missing lumps.

newrider.com