Does anyone know this riding school (NorthEast)

Yep its just along the road from me. My niece rides there (although I don't think they are teaching her very effectively) Usual riding school ponies.

Hi, thanks for the replies! Apparently that's where our uni riding club rides now, I have been going elsewhere but that's where they are holding our fun dressage comp so I need to have a couple of lesson just to see the horses and stuff. Can you tell me if it has a weight limit, and if there are horses there that can carry 13 stone? Cheers!

Just up the road from me then! :D

Holly Farm at Byermoor, just above Gateshead, although don't know how many big horses she has now. Horses are very well cared for, decent teaching (she was trained at the yard where I learnt to teach). She certainly has my friend's welsh cob x TB mare on loan for use in the school and she is well up to weight (friend is well over 13 stone!)

Further afield in Durham area there is Low Fold Farm, they have a wider range of horses in terms of ability, they have a nice retired dressage horse on loan from a lady I compete against regularly and if I remember rightly he was competing at Medium level and working up to advanced when he retired.

There is also Ivesley equestrian centre, not sure what horses/levels they offer now as they were selling up - it has been bought AFAIK and they are still running affiliated eventing competitions up to advanced level.

Bit further afield is Stotfold Crest Stables near hartlepool - actually just off the A19 before Hartlepool proper - run by lady called Lesley Perry and her daughter. Daughter is is on the British young rider dressage squad. They have some very good horses and the teaching is good.

I can second Stotfold. Lesley Perry really knows her stuff - although she tends not to teach herself these days as she is busy running the place and coaching, and travelling with, her very talented 18 year old daughter Anne Marie, who is on our National Junior Dressage team. Lesley does have a couple of Instructors who work for her though and she is keen to maintain high standards.

LGD - I didn't know Ivesley had changed hands! when did that happen? Do you know if they are likely to offer any decent dressage competitions?

afaik it was def the case last year, durham uni use both low fold and ivesley, so newcastle wouldn't be able to. i know teesside used to use low fold and lesley perry but stopped, i'm not sure why, it was before my time :rolleyes: a girl i worked with did her AI training with them and speaks very highly of them, but she did say the riding school horses are typical 'schoolies' and as such not ideal for BUSA

Stella2 said:
LGD - I didn't know Ivesley had changed hands! when did that happen? Do you know if they are likely to offer any decent dressage competitions?

No idea on the comp front - they never really had good facilities for the dressage anyway - always grass arenas and not always the most level footing when I evented there.

There are two new affiliated venues for next year though. Houghall college at Durham is starting comps up again in March. I think Marian may be running an unaffiliated winter series there as well. There is also a new place a Leamside, also going to be running them from March, not sure about unaffiliated there, but you can do any affiliated prelim unregistered as long as they have a section A for the class.

Hi, thank you for all the replies, very helpful!

Hi Wobblydeb, the impression I got was that the team rides elsewhere from everyone else in the club, so maybe they do still ride at Houghton, not sure though! This competition is definitely at Penshaw, but the proper BUSA ones may still be at Houghton. Hope your lessons are going well!

Yes, I learned to ride at Penshaw many years ago. From what I've heard it hasn't changed all that much. Average riding school, has all the usual accreditation. They did have a small cross country course there but its not always usable because there tends to be horses turned out in those fields. Nice view of Penshaw monument, an Acropolis-like thing on a hill (!)
When I was there it was a fair mix of horses:- a couple of cobs, big and small ponies, a couple of TBs and TB crosses.
Hacking out is possible too.
But yes, I did find there was a 'pot luck' element to lessons, particularly instructors changing. My current school (not in the NE) is of a similar size and aimed at a similar market, with similar horses, but I find the organisation miles better.

I believe Northumbria Uni students used to ride at a school north of Newcastle, I'm not sure where. You might want to ask their student union.

I used to go to Northumbria Uni (left about 15 years ago!!) and was a member of the riding club. We used ride at Wooler, miles up north in the wilds of Northumberland. It was fab as they used to box the horses up to Holy Island and there is some wicked beach gallops to be had there!!

I have been riding at Ivesley for 3 years and have seen no evidence of it being sold. The last time this was suggested on this board I asked and everyone was amazed at the rumour. So AFAIK it is not sold.

I have heard that Holly RS in Burnopfield has lovely well cared for horses, but at least 8 in a lesson in a very very small school. Doesnt leave much room for anything other than nose to tail rides and plenty walking around waiting your turn. No private or semi private lessons, just fully booked up large classes.. with unqualified instructors in the main

I thought Newcastle Uni rs went to South Houghton EC at Heddon on the Wall? And that Durham Uni go to Ivesley... But there are lots of others. Penshaw, Low Fold, and of course the colleges at Kirkley Hall (Northuimberland Coll) and Houghall College in Durham.

i know this threads really old but i go to penshaw
the weight limit is about 15 stone i think cos they have a few good weight carriers

got a nice variety of horses aswell. ploddy ones and ones that are nice and willing aswell.
3 schools (2 indoor and 1 outdoor), xc course, hacking in herrington park and they hold pony weeks and things in the summer and sometimes

i like it but you dont have a specific instructor, i mean most of the time you have the same instructor, but iv been there about 3 years and iv had around 8-10 instructors
i have learnt a lot though

Holly!

Lgd, what is the name of the mare you know at Holly Riding School? I have been going for two years now. It does have private lessons, whoever said it didn't! It has three arenas and yes I know the indoor school is small, but even though we can't really canter in there it is a brilliant excuse to practice your trot position! And you really appreciate it when the weather gets better and you go and canter in the wide outdoor manege!
I love Holly Riding School - brilliant place!:D:)

newrider.com