Does anyone know where to buy "Thrush Buster" from ? ?

tew38

May 31, 2006
Hello everyone,

Can anyone help me, my farrier has reccomended something called "Thrush Buster" for my horse's stinky thrush infected feet :eek: but I've called round my local tack shops & 'googled' it but I can't find it.

Can anyone help.....do you know anywhere that sells "Thrush Buster"???

Tew38

Thanks, I was hoping there'd be somewhere in the UK that stocks it so I can get it a bit quicker than being shipped from the USA.

When I spoke to my local tack shop they seemed to recognise the name but didn't stock it, s'pose I should've asked if they knew f anyone else that stocked it...DOH!!

I use a mix of stokholm tar and washing with anti fungul treatments. works for me and is cheaper than many of the products on market.

Yeah, agreed - don't bother buying thrush buster - I can get it here in TN but there are much better treatments. Regular iodine solution works just as well - just don't get it on your clothes ! Even better (and it's all I use now) is ordinary unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar - I guess in the UK you'd just call it Cider Vinegar - but it's best to get it from a health food store and buy the unprocessed. and unfiltered stuff that contains the 'mother'. Dilute it 50-50 with water, then spray or spnge it into the affected feet. You can also feed it starting with 1 tsp a day in with feed or water and it will start to have a good effect on hoof and hair condition too if you like, but in the short term, washing the gunky foot in it will clear up the thrush.

Another vote for cider vinegar (apple cider vinegar :) ). I use the 50/50 dilution with a couple of drops of tea tree oil.

Another thing that some people find helpful is Borax (available from Boots and Wilkinson's). I soak Saff's feet in it while she's having her breakfast and then give them a good scrub afterwards.

Another thing that is good as a one off treatment is Cleantrax which is available from EPs or from Senjj on Enlightened Equitation.

Thanks guys, I think I'm gonna go back to my farrier & see where he recommends to buy it from. Seeing as he did tell me to get it!! I've tried all the Hydrogen Peroxide, Iodine & Stockholm Tar route & this is what the farrier recommended to get rid of it once & for all.

Shipping Thrush Buster to the UK from the US seems a bit extravagant!!

Thanks again :D

Most of the harsher treatments like thrush buster, hydrogen peroxide etc damage some healthy frog as well as the infection so produces something for new infection to feed on so you never completely get rid of the thrush. Gentler treatments like borax/cider vinegar/MSM cream/clean trax really help as they kill off the thrush without damaging any healthy tissue. Problem is though if the feet aren't too healthy (contracted heels for example) then re-infection is even more likely whatever treatment you use.

newrider.com