Does boarding a horse effect its love towards you?

Jinxsea

Aug 4, 2005
Nova Scotia
Does boarding a horse effect its love towards you? Like if you cant be there everyday, does your horse just think of you as another person, and love the person who looks after her everyday? Just a thought because I will be boarding my horse, and wont be able to see her everyday,but i want her to think of me as her owner if that makes sense. :eek:

No, provided you still spend quality time with your horse and not just work. My horse has changed homes quite a bit but I'm the constant thing to her. Even when I don't see her for a whole week she still knows me and reacts the same way. I think our bond might be slightly stronger since I left for college because she looks forward to getting out and about with me when i come home. She does love being out with her herd too of course but she likes work aswell.

Nah, it doesn't affect the bond unless you're one of those people who go out once in a blue moon.
My mare definately prefers me over the person who used to feed her. And they had FOOD!

You're horse won't lose that bond with you when you board, just don't drop her off and rarely return. She'll love you still.

Saff is on fully livery. I work in London, live in Yorkshire. Even so she lifts her head up and comes to me when I call her. She knows that I'm *mum*, she also knows that the YOs are her *mums* too. I don't have a problem with that as they treat her as well as I treat her.

I'd love to spend more time with her but, unfortunately, I have to work to keep a field under her feet and food in her belly!

Bay Mare said:
She knows that I'm *mum*, she also knows that the YOs are her *mums* too. I don't have a problem with that as they treat her as well as I treat her.

Ditto. Skeeter knows I am one important mommy, as I ride him, bring him carrots, groom, stretch and massage him and nurture him. But he also likes the stables manager an awful lot, who is also my trainer - he sees lots of her and she brings him his supplements (yummy beet pulp and senior feed!) twice a day. I am glad he likes her, as it says that he is being treated well by her. But that does not stop him having a close bond with me. :)

Make sure that the time you have with her is quality time, building up trust together. If you don't have time / energy / weather to ride for example, just have a nice grooming, pampering session together / rubbing the bits she likes rubbed.

newrider.com