Does everyone have thin calves?? I can't find riding boots to fit me

VickiGG

Vicki, Garbo & Blue
Is it just me or does everyone else that rides have super thin legs? I don't have huge legs but they would not be described as thin - see pic - but all I want is a reasobaly priced pair of long riding boots for my very first dressage competition - and none of them fit me.

Has anyone else had the same problem? What did you do. Sure I can spend $800 on a pair that will be made to fit m - but it's alot of money. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• 50KRamon Clinic 090705.jpg
    50KRamon Clinic 090705.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 80
What about Montain Riders? Am sure I've seen that they do various calf widths and stuff - they do lovely long ones suitable for competitions. I know what you mean though, I have to check the width of chaps (my legs are neither thick nor thin :p ). Hope you find some soon! :D

i have quite large calfs and have just bought a pair of gaiters. These look smart and may be easier to find a correct fitting pair then with long boots? They are also cheaper then long boots and i have seen many people at dressage comps wearing them

I think I spend more time taking my boots off than I do riding :rolleyes:
My legs aren't particularly massive either. I'm going to invest in some joddie boots and half chaps soon though :)

That's why I ride in short boots as I have VERY wide calfs :( I would love some long boots - may have to treat myself to some Portugese made-to-measure, or some Portugese chaps.

I too have problems with this, and it seems that manufacturers assume that the wider the leg, the taller! So i can get long boots to fit me width wise, but if my feet won't touch the ground, then they're not much good. Go for a nice pair of gaiters and short boots - then you can have any combination you like!

I guess long boots must fit someone somewhere, but it's not people with thin calves either. Even the extra narrow ones, on the off chance I can find any, are still massive on me!

VickiGG said:
Is it just me or does everyone else that rides have super thin legs? I don't have huge legs but they would not be described as thin - see pic - but all I want is a reasobaly priced pair of long riding boots for my very first dressage competition - and none of them fit me.

One of my favourite rants! I have size 4 feet and muscular calves (from dancing and ice skating). I'm not particularly out of proportion but I can't get a pair of boots near my calves as they think that size 4 feet = 11 year old kid with twiglet legs :(

Do these companies want our money or not? Have they not realised yet that adults ride?

i have exactly the same problem, i have quite big feet :eek: but skinny-ish legs. For general riding i just have to wear short boots and chaps, but for shows i bought gaiters. I personally thing they look nicer then long boots and you can get a proper fit. At my saddlers they will even take in the zip a few mms to get a tighter fit. Plus it all works out a cheaper then buying most boots, which of course is always a good thing :)

Yep, sounds familiar. I went for some Muck Boot Co. riding wellies expecting a close fit round the calf but they're much looser than I would have preferred. The legs aren't thin so it must be having flippers for feet.

Same with me VickiGG. I have big feet(okay size 9 :eek: ) and big calves, but mens boots are too long for me. A complete pain. I have resorted to Mountain Rider Safe rider short boots and chaps

I'd love a pair of long boots...but alas.,...it would seem I have the largest legs known! I'm very much out of proportion :mad: :( I don't think I'll ever find any that fit! Currently I'm droolin over a rather luurveerly pair of purple half chaps.....I'm too scared to go try them on!! Good luck!

Anna.

heehee i have size 8 feet and skinny legs (should join the circus i know!) and i can never find long boots to fit cause htey think "big feet - fat legs" lol

I think i had to get the crappy rubber requisites in the end but i usually just wear chaps

That reminds me of something funny. My Mom is such a pack rat. When she found out I had started riding again at age 35 she sent me the boots I wore at 17. I couldn't believe she kept them in the attic for 18 years. And she thought they would still fit me! :eek: I tried to squeeze in but my calves have grown just a bit in circumference. Anyway, they almost fit my oldest daughter. I guess I might as well hold on to them a little longer....

I have the same problem as Zingy - I have smallish feet and thin calves and I had nightmares trying to find long boots to fit me! I eventually found an online shop that came up with the goods, here is the link

http://www.bestboots.co.uk/

The boots I bought were by Rectiligne. Their boots come in foot sizes 35 to 46, with four calf fittings per foot size and three heights per foot size. They were expensive, but not nearly as bad as the custom made jobs and well worth the money. The people who run the shop were very helpful and patient and they took great care to make sure that I found the perfect fit :)

newrider.com