Does Parelli teach 'feel'.

KP nut

I'd rather be riding.
Dec 22, 2008
(Question emerged in a discussion on the +ve and -ve reinforcement thread in case anyone wants a bit more context - but I'd like this discussion to widen out anyway):) xx

I think what he teaches is observation and the rider/handler to react to the cues the horse gives out.

I have no idea whether he teaches it from a rider's point of view, like Heather Moffett does.

Parelli sure has good feel himself. I'm not that familiar with his vids etc., but I've always felt that he does't make things very "clear" for his human students.

Here's a couple of good vids. if anybody is interested. Remember that we must feel "all four feet". and offer each foot a "release with each step".
Like most things that are worthwhile, we must move forward "one step at a time".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mGB4D1Kolo&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCi-JzJS5GE&feature=related

Keep on, keepin on

Jack

Did you mean ridden feel, or feel in general? :) I would imagine the answer would be a definite yes to the latter, but how successfully always is possibly open to question. In my book you shouldn't create a watchful or reactive horse with good feel, and people sometimes do.

when I read this I thought instinctively -- almost any school of teaching can teach feel -- but not all students can learn feel from all schools....

I personally beleive that the easiest way to learn feel is to have some one on one time with a master horseperson and a good horse....

not many of us have access to that, in which case in my mind any approach that helps us understand the horse's point of view, our own strengths and weaknesses -- and gives us alternative ways of approaching issues can help us on our journey to developing feel

Cathy

Different view but I think it is almost impossible to teach feel.

It is not impossible to learn with an open mind and guidence but the inate response to the horses reaction and movements is just not available to everyone no matter how good a teacher they have.Watch a number of students with the same teacher and access to the same horses, some but not all will develop feel, others may make a mechanical effort which looks like feel but is in fact learnt response...a different thing.

Last edited:
Ditto eml imo - I think perhaps what any school might do is teach a pupil/student to *recognise* and *utilise* feel....they already have 'feel' (be it in the ridden sense, or the handling and understanding sense) as a natural thing, but that they don't always understand this feel until it is explained and shown by somebody more experienced. Does that make sense?

I don't know enough to approach the answer in specific reference to Parelli though :)

A Tom Dorrance story,

It's a sunny summer day, and your sitting in the shade enjoying a very slight breeze. Now you can't see that breeze, and you can't hear that breeze, but you "feel".

I'm able to teach "timing" pretty easily, and have found that once most people become aware of "good timing, recognize smallest try, etc" they will become more aware of feel. I believe anybody can learn "to feel" but like most things, some will come to it more naturally.

We have a parrot that says, "I can talk, can you fly". I always tell him, "I've got feel, can you see it". :D

Keep on, keepin on

Jack

newrider.com