Does she have much more growing to do?

fairlady

Jul 14, 2007
Bristol
Sioned is Welsh X Traditional. Dad is 'apparently' 15.3 which seems a bit
big for a Traditional Cob to me, but thats what it says on his Website Info, although I am sure Sioned's breeder told me he was 14.3.

Mum was 14.2 pure Welshie.

Sioned will be 3 end of June, I haven't measured her tbh but my guess is
she is about 14.1. Now tbh it doesn't make that much difference as she
will be more than able to carry me, but, I was hoping she would go 14.3 minimum, especially IF Dad IS 15.3. She IS constantly bum high,
then catches up, then up goes that bum again, lol.

How much more can I expect her to grow basically?;)

Last edited:
She may well have a fair bit of growing to do - I know Welshies who've not finished growing til five or six and trads tend to be slow cookers too. Another couple of inches wouldn't surprise me especially if dad is really that tall.

How old is she hun?? I *think* around 3 yrs??

*If* dad was 15.3hh then she should really be bigger than 14.1hh,as if she's going to make anything close to that she should have donw it already,if that makes any sense??

*If* dad was 14.3hh,then with mum's height she *should* make around 14.2-3hh.

They have done approx 95% of their growing by the age of two years height wise,although of course they still grow and fill out in other way's after this age.

There are always exceptions obviously,and some do their growing a bit later but all in one hit!! Generally though from what I've read,heard and my own experience with youngsters,they have done the majority of their growing by 2 years.

My Marble was sold to me as 'to make 14.3hh',I had doubts about this as soon as I saw him,as barely 14hh at 3.5years.He is currently just over 14hh,and I would expect him to make around 14.1,maybe 14.2 at a push (am also allowing for the fact my current measuring might be a bit out lol) by the time he's finished growing,as is a bit bum high.TBH doesn't matter to me I would be quite happy with 14.1hh,is a good size for me the older I get,as don't struggle so much with getting on and off:eek:.Time will tell but I will be surprised if he grows much more than an inch between 3 and 4 yrs,they *usually* don't.

Parental height is usually the best indicator,unless there is a massive variation between sire and dam of course.

Hope it helps:)

*disclaimer* I cannot be held responsible if FL's horse breaks all the 'rules' suddenly grows three hands between the ages of 3 and 4;):p:D

devonlas i find what you say very true . my lad was measured at 4 and he came in at 155 then he was measured for his jmb at 5 and again he came in at 155 again im not haveing him measured this year as hes going to school and get his schooling work sorted and do local shows then next january hel go for his last jmb to me he still looks 155 and i very much doubt hel grow at 6 . i have a friend who bought a trad x welsh and he put on a good few inches at 3 but he was 4 in october and shes convinced hes going to put on a few more but to me he looks to be just filling out now he doesnt look gangly or high either side i think if she gets another inch out of him shel be lucky my old girl did all her last growing around 3 and a half and she was cob

newrider.com