does the hat mean anything!!!

zoelouise

Oct 14, 2004
lancashire
Visit site
today i bought a hat for my riding lessons.
i bought a skull cap cos it fit better that the riding hats but as i have looked around it seems more a professional hat does it really matter what kind of hat you wear.
i dont want to make a an impression at the riding school or anything i just want to be safe.
go for first lesson in the morning but i have to hire one from them so i thought of instead of hiring one and them not having my size or being an ill fit.
i thought i would buy one and now im not sure that i have done the right thing.

It makes absolutely no difference providing the hat is kitemarked to British Safety standards and is safe. Don't feel you haven't got the right equipment, as long as it is safe and doies the job it really shouldn't matter. Hats don't improve your riding.

Your hat should fit snuggly, but not to tight as to give you a headache. Look to buy one from a reputable saddlery and go and try it on before you buy it.
You also should be wearing shoes / boots with a small heel, not wellies or trainers. This ensures that should you foot slip through the stirrup the little heel will stop it going all the way through and then getting caught up.
Perhaps later when you are a little more experienced or if your parents feel it is worth the money is to see about getting a body protector - although these can be expensive.
Please make sure you get a skull cap or hat to suit you, not to look the part and a pair of boots to do the job too. If you are on the internet look at the Robinsons Country wear site - they have some good prices of jodhpur boots. This will also give you some idea of how much things will cost. Although do not rule out birthdays and Christmas pressies for some horsey clothing!!!
Good luck and enjoy your riding.

Also remember most Joddy boots are great to ride in but they'll have you sliding on your bum the second you get off and walk on smooth concrete or grass. No grip at all on the sole. The BHS don't seem to car about this!

I won't wear them, far too dangerous for walking about in!

Wellies are better then trainers but have no give in the ankle.

I will wear anything on my head so long as it will protect my head from a fall.

Not sure about body protectors though, read the box, they don't actually claim to protect you from anything. Big disclaimer on the side. Studies show too that more injuries occur from folk wearing body armour than those not.

Not sure about body protectors though, read the box, they don't actually claim to protect you from anything. Big disclaimer on the side. Studies show too that more injuries occur from folk wearing body armour than those not.
Sorry to disagree Wally, but I love body protectors and wouldn't ride without one! Without mine I would definitely have broken quite a few ribs :( . Also, I expect more people seem to get badly injured while wearing a body protector because people tend to wear them for high risk stuff like racing and eventing.
However zoelouise, in case you're now thinking "Oh god, do I need a body protector as well?!" I wouldn't recommend getting one at the moment because they're quite expensive and you probably don't need one yet. I would recommend getting one when you start jumping though! :)
God, how much am I waffling today?!

newrider.com