Does The Trim Really Matter?

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
At the moment cob has barefoot trim. I say at the moment because the last trimmer didn't want to come as yard rules that dogs had to stay in the van. So he stopped coming.

Current one has cancelled again and this has been the pattern from day one. I just feel if i changed would it really matter that much. Due to my location this is the only one that can travel and already i am one hour away. Unless anyone qualifies in my area i have no other barefoot trimmers.

I'd use a farrier, I've not been impressed with the barefoot trimmers I used over the long run, they can talk the talk but sadly not walk the walk. You of course get good and bad of both, but one of my trimmers is very well thought of in barefoot circles and my horse was never sound with her. He was sound with the 2nd trimmer but the flare she was leaving threw his back out.

Research the farrier you use carefully too.

Can only speak from own bitter experience, and wouldn't want to tar them all with same brush, but would look for a decent farrier instead of trimmer. Worth their weight in gold.

if i couldnt get someone to commit to travelling to trim the horses then i would find a good farrier and also perhaps learn some basics myself (or at least signs of flare etc)

I use a farrier for mine and could not be happier. I know he has spoken to other well known barefoot trimmers in my area and his trim is very similar (ok he says his is better lol but yes he does a very good job for less money)

Yes last one taught me the basics, i can take off the flare that she has now and balance the foot. She has pretty good hard feet.
Now got week to wait. I just wonder if i should see if happens again and change. For some reason being a one pony owner, you don't seem important with travel etc.
Instructor used to change about as well so stopped having her as got sick of it after 4 years.

It doesn't matter who is doing is so long as the trim is sympathetic. You're risking a lot less than some with good cob feet, so long as the horse isn't walking away from a trim less sound than it was before then you're in business.

As Yann says.

We use a trimmer, she is fantastic - but thats only because I couldn't find a decent farrier - now we have found her, I won't be switching back as she has made such as massive difference to my two.

So far I would say that my trimmer is better than my farrier for Ziggy, but Mattie is just fine with the farrier. It's a really difficult one as they all vary so much.

I just feel i am being messed about with the cancelling. If i had someone nearer i may not get cancelled if the person booked before has.
This is the only trimmer left in my area.

It isn't about the cost because i only pay £28

updated

Just to update to say new farrier came today.

The other one was still messing me around and I have trimmed the cob myself since October 2012. I told the new chap she self trims and I tidy, I keep my eyes for any white line stretch and sort that, plus the toe length.

Its farrier or no one for us because the others contacted said I was too far away, or would come if the yard booked.

But as you said Yann, I am starting out with good feet and he said I am very lucky. My previous chap had good feet but felt everything. She appears to crunch stones I can feel through my boots! I certainly need to pick my way slower than her.

Last edited:
Glad you have got something sorted,its hard finding a good farrier or trimmer here I dread having to find a farrier if shoes need to go back on as there is a lack!

The only difference u could see with my laymens eye between my farriers trim and the barefoot trim I'd see from Jane's trimmer Trevor, was that Trevor did a more pronounced roll to the toe. I was luck for the year+ that Joy was barefoot as her feet never cracked or chipped. Hard as nails in all respects is my Joy!

@mm we have lots of farriers around here. Just everyone is very traditional in what they do. You get laughed at for using boots, but why shoe just to hack out twice a week! Doesn't make any sense to me.
I haven't booted up yet, they are just there.

If your horse is not earning you a living, if you are pottering about for your own enjoyment a couple of times a week, then a lot of horses can go without shoes. Lots of ours are not shod and most are not shod in winter as they don't do the volume of work.

Years ago when I was endurance riding, there was no such thing as a "barefoot trimmer" we had an old shoeing blacksmith. I used to have to get a letter from my vet stating that the horse was able to compete without shoes. We did 25- 40 mile rides several times a year......on a grass trim.
It was only when we went on to 50 and 100 mile rides and the associated fittening his feet could not keep pace with the wear and he was shod.

Boots were out of the question, they were not invented, and having seen the horrific rubs from some boots and bandages on endurance rides I wouldn't even go there.

She is a very large pet at the end of the day.

I hadn't heard of this other trim until instructor mentioned it. Been there and tried it, i am open to new or different ideas.

I haven't had rubs from boots but then the mileage is significantly less.

The farrier agreed she didn't need shoes for the work i did and the quality of her hoof.

I can't get my head around the costs of the barefoot trim being almost as much as what the farrier would charge to shoe.Its now half of what i have paid in the past.

Hi I use a farrier but also round the trim myself using a riders rasp ,really easy to use and I do it once a week , I am only riding for 30 mins three times a week on tarmac and sound,but feet are very short,so will need boots soon ,going to try renegades as my friend tried loads and they suit short feet the best she reckons.

I used to pay £45 pound a trim for a strassuer trimmer who made my old mare sore,then paid a barefoot trimmer £25,who told me my horse(age 2 at the time)wouldn,t stay sound!!! Got my vet to look and he said he was just growing a grown up hoof and recommended my farrier who thinks my horse( now 4 )has first class feet!!!:wink:

Personally I would never go back to a farrier.My previous experience was that farriers tend to just take off the height (pasture trim I *think* is called) and do not address the shape,balance etc.Also my farrier did not have clue about diet,workload,spotting potential problems/issues and such like as my trimmer does.

This is only my experience of course with two farriers that i have used,sure there are more barefoot sympathetic ones around these days.

I have a simple rule now,farrier for shoes trimmer for trimming,and yes for me the trim does matter.

However if you don't have anyone in your area then what can you do.In your position i would be finding the most recommended farrier i could,making it clear up front that I wanted to stay barefoot if poss and was happy to maintain the hoof in between visits and any tips or advice would be appreciated.

He said to book him when I feel she needs looking at, likely she can go 8 weeks because I said I check her in between. Keep an eye on her weight, terrain and diet as much as possible.
He said there is no reason to put shoes on her. Its early days, she likes him that's important. If you have anything with a strong opinion you will know that means the difference between a discussion or dozing off.

DL I am amazed at how flexible I have had to be since she came along, almost doing a full circle. We do have boots that fit, tried those today just to see. Also my insurance now has a farrier only clause in it, everyone has with this company. So for me any trimmer would also have to be registered.

DL I am amazed at how flexible I have had to be since she came along, almost doing a full circle. We do have boots that fit, tried those today just to see. Also my insurance now has a farrier only clause in it, everyone has with this company. So for me any trimmer would also have to be registered.

Flexibilty is never a bad thing,as long you are happy with what you are doing:smile:

Do you mind if i ask what insurance company?? Have not heard of any clauses regarding having a farrier,except in relation to shoes obviously,but worried in case have missed something:unsure:

newrider.com