Does yours use their shelter- if you have a man made one?

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
I realise not everyone has field shelters. We did have another that sort of blew away into next doors (I think it misunderstood the term mobile :D )

Mine uses it as a scratching post for her neck and that ample bottom! She isn't keen when its windy everything rattles and sensibly she vacates it.

But it's nice to see her using it.
Anyone eagle eyed will note how dark the coat is and that she is a tad hippo sized!
PicsArt_09-09-09.33.56.jpg

What a lovely sweet face!

We don't have field shelters, they do stand under the trees for shelter through. I go past some horses daily who have a shelter in their field. As a horsey person I always look as I drive past, I've seen them in the shelter on summer mornings sometimes but never when it's been raining they were always out grazing, heads down.

Hank loves a shelter, he will run for it as soon as it starts raining heavily :D at the old yard Jess rarely went into a shelter to avoid the weather, she will on extreamly hot days or if the bugs are really bad out, but I've seen her with 3" of snow on her back stood right outside the door while Hank is tucked up inside. When we had high winds they would always stand outside but next to it to shelter.

My new shelter is being used by both more, possibly because there's a reliable food source in there (the old shelter often had hay in too tho), but also I think because it's much bigger and more open, Jess seems more settled in there because she can still see what's going on outside so her leader/defender role isn't compromised.

The horses at work use the filed shelter in hot peruods of the day and when the flies are bad. Rarely when its wet.

Mine have access to natural shelter in the paddocks, trees and well established hawthorn and use these in hot and torrential rain/wind.

Ziggy and Mattie have a very handsome shelter split in to two with jump poles and tape so that I can feed them separately.

They very rarely use it, I have to say. I sometimes see Mattie in there if it's raining and I haven't rugged him. They never use it for cold or windy weather. They are in there most often when it's hot and fly-y in summer, and then both of them squeeze into one side so they can stand nose to tail.

Mattie is determined to demolish it by scratching!

Belle uses hers in the summer to get away from the flies and out of the heat of the day, the rest of the time she will either stand to one side of it out of the wind or just under the overhang, she won't venture inside if it's really windy and creaky though.

I don't have shelters - lol they would blow into the sea and land on Hoy !!!lol
But I think my softie bunch would use them, Chloe just for scratching on !!! Zi definitely, he's such s big girls blouse, the merest hint of rain and he pouts and looks to come back up the yard. Mostly mine free range, so it's never a problem in bad weather.

@newforest back at our old place we had mobile shelters on skids before we got planning permission for the stable block. Well, it was a windy place (prepared me for moving here I think) and we'd only had them a few days and one morning I woke to see them moved right the way to the other end of a four acre field:eek: the dry stone wall and fence stopped them from ending up in the next county:p

@newforest back at our old place we had mobile shelters on skids before we got planning permission for the stable block. Well, it was a windy place (prepared me for moving here I think) and we'd only had them a few days and one morning I woke to see them moved right the way to the other end of a four acre field:eek: the dry stone wall and fence stopped them from ending up in the next county:p
Ours hedge hopped.

Reactions: Trewsers
newrider.com