dog and cat?

J Leahy

Apr 7, 2010
Further to my dog debate I'm also pondering on puss cat. I really would like a siamese. I work full time so my parents would be having the dogs whilst I'm at work. Obviously a cat would prob have to stay at my house and siamese seem very people orientated so would it be selfish to have a siamese?

Oriental cat breeds - siamese, balanies etc, are all really vocal, and I mean, really vocal! We had a balanies which is a long haired version of a siamese and she was so vocal to the point that it was annoying.
When I moved out, I just wanted a cat that would get along with the dogs if they came occaisonally so went along to my local RSPCA and found a two year old black domestic short haired that had been known to live with another dog before.
And I'll add to say that I work full time. Jess is an indoor cat anyway as she has got it in her head now that her toilet is the litter tray so leaving her indoors is not a problem for her as long as she gets to go out for fresh air when I come home. I know she doesn't crave my attention a lot when I'm off at the weekend as she just goes and sleeps for most of the time after a bit of playing time in the morning.

Last edited:
Hiya ... i`ve always had cats, and for the most part i used to work full time. I`ve always had at least 2 though, and at the moment i have 3. I live rural so have a cat flap and they come and go as they please. When i get home they`re normally curled up together quite happily in their beds.

That is the thing i love about cats, they`re very independent, which can be both a blessing and a curse, a blessing they don`t need me every second of the day, but a curse when they go wandering off for days at a time :giggle:

You may need to re-think leaving that type of cat on its own :frown:

Two of my 4 are orientals (solid colour siamese) I originally just went to get one and the breeder kept repeatedly asking about my other cats and kept mentioning that she wouldn't re-home to a single animal household as have to have at least another cat or a dog for company while working.

My Boy oriental 'chats' ALOT and there is no way I could ever leave him completely alone he would be misrable, they are VERY VERY needy cats, not good independant types like my moggies.

But I love them and can't imagine the flat without them! warning they are addictive, friend at work bought a siamese after hearing about my 2 and has just bought oriental cat no2 last weekend :giggle:

my two..who always cuddle up together :)
DSC00077.jpg

and one of Twog...sorry :giggle:
017.jpg

Last edited:
My house will have a garden and cat flap I wonder if two siamese would work I'd be home by 5 15 I particularly like siamese as they are such characters my brother had a lovely one

Ooh the pics look so lovely! Can anyone tell more abt the differences between siamese & other orientals please?

Can anyone tell me more abt the difference between siamese & other oriental breeds please?

The pics are gorgeous

My Siamese (who sadly died in 2008 :( ) was so much of a people person I don't think he'd like to be left alone. My parents were always at home with him.

This is my Hero - he was such an ace character and would love to get another siamese in the future :) You can see Bob in the background, he was a Ragdoll and he died of a heart attack last year aged only 3 :(

Randompics008.jpg

i'd get two kittens, they can keep each other company :) do enquire about breed rescues if you're set on a particular breed though, and stay away from the dodgy end of the breeder spectrum :ninja:

@ liz_scarlet - love your cats!!!!

@ liz_scarlet - love your cats!!!!

Thank you :biggrin:

Agree with the rescues comment, I was soooo close to getting a devon rex through rescue but at the last min they found someone closer to take him, he did get a nice home...but I did cry as I wanted him :redcarded:

My house will have a garden and cat flap I wonder if two siamese would work I'd be home by 5 15 I particularly like siamese as they are such characters my brother had a lovely one

Sounds like a good set up, and yes, if you are going to do it, do get 2 :wink:

@Liz ... one day Twog will be mine ..... **mmuuuhahahahahahahaaarrrr** ... (i know, i know, ill never get her away from the radiator, so next time i come to yours, i`m bringing a set of spanners and a wrench :tongue:

I love Siamese and Oriental cats. They have wonderful personalities but having lost 2 out of the 3 that i got in the last 4 years I am in two minds whether to now get another one to keep my 2yr old Havanna company.

I lost one seal point siamese at 9months old due to congenital kidney cysts which kicked in as he grew and I lost my soulmate lilac point boy before xmas due to cancer, he had only just turned 4 and was ill for 6 months with mouth infections before we discovered the tumours.

So, they are gorgeous cats but not as healthy as moggies.

We had 2 Siamese when I was growing up. They were fab. One lived until he was 21! The Siamese was never an only cat, he had a few moggy pals and eventually, an Abbysinian.

We then had a Burmese as my mum could not tolerate the noise that the Siamese made. The Burmese cat was pretty vocal as well but lived happily with the Abbysinian and then for a good few years alone. He was very independent.

I think maybe two is a good plan. :biggrin:

why not get two middle aged i.e. 8-10 year olds - rescue centres are full of them

they would be happy as home alones, won't wreck the place, won't go missing like kittens left home alone and will be just so happy for whatever time you can give them.

they will give you no hassle, no peeing everywhere, shredding carpets, just sleep most of the day and cuddle up on a lap at night.

i wouldn't get a pedigree or an oriental, they are too needy and demanding ( i have a mad burmese blue) but british short hairs are quiet, easy going, happy cats. some of the orientals really are high maintenance.

we have a couple of middle aged persians and they are very house cats, veyr easy, just need a lot of grooming - but they entertain themselves and are very laid back

All my house pets are strays/rescues/adverts.

Mollydog is a JRT whos owners no longer wanted her at the age of 2 as they wanted to keep one of her puppies. We had to buy her as none of the rescue charities would consider us for a small dog...we had German Shepherds in the past so RSPCA would only rehome those with us, nor are our 30 acres surrounded by 2m fences although we do have a dog exercise pen of 15m x7 m and a large indoor school used by dog trainers these were apparently not adequate for Dogs Trust!!

We have had several cats over the years, mainly they just arrived, one was advertised in a pet supermarket as 'free to good home' ( they didn't even ask for our address let alone check), two came from friends as they had arrived with then as strays, one came as a stray handed into a vet. They have been all sorts from a handsome Burmese type to a part bred Bengal, lots have 'going out' ( as in they won't!!) issues but none have ever been a problem.

We can go out all day ( for shows etc) leaving dog and cats to look after themselves, once did an overnight with a friend walking the dog night and morning and feeding everyone.

I would just go for a pair of 'ordinary' house cats..they will entertain each other and sleep happily while you are out.

My orientals have never shreaded anything, scratching post trained when weeks old and they use them. Never done the toilet anywhere but litter trays or outside, except after being neutered and that's excusable as were doped up.

My sisters moggie however used to pee in corners.

health wise mine are 8...one is special but not anything treatable. My mum has had many ancient burmese and an abbysinian that outlived their moggie pals with less health issues.

Either re-home or find a breeder through shows/reputation :biggrin:

newrider.com