Dog Thefts

Bodshi

Apr 23, 2009
Yorkshire
I don't understand why so many. Ok little designer dogs being stolen to sell on, but there seem to be so many ordinary, even old and fat, dogs being taken. What happens to them? Surely nobody would buy them when the they could get a dog from a reputable breeder or a rescue centre. Someone on Facebook is appealing for help finding their 15 year old crossbred who thieves actually broke into the house to take. I don't get it - not that the dog isn't worth everything to it's owners of course, but why would anyone want to steal it?

It just shows microchipping isn't much of a deterrent as many dogs stolen are chipped, so so sad, and if someone took a child there would be uproar but I can't imagine a dog been stolen being a priority at the police station, however to a lot of people they are part of their family and the scum that take them need to be dealt with on the same way. No doubt if interviewed they'd say it's only a dog, well maybes to them but they need to realise it's not just a dog to the owners :-( , sorry rant over, lol. X

Someone tried to steal my dog once, he just took a shine to her and decided he wanted her! Lucky for me she didn't like him, he tried to take her from my garden can you believe. I did report him to the police but because he hadn't actually done anything in their eyes it was of no significance. Nowt as queer as folk I'm afraid.

@Kite_Rider it is awful and makes you wonder where some peoples boundries lie, shop lifting, burglary, pick pocketing, mugging oaps, dog snatching even child kidnapp, there are obviously some horrid people out the who simply have no respect for others possessions /property/pets or family and feel it's a free for all which tbh is quite scarey. x

it could be some sort of revenge to get at the person?? I guess there could be some story behind it. Some horrible folk in this world

I hate to say this, as it's so vile and sickening, but some of the poor dogs that are stolen are used as bait in dog fighting. Unfortunately it's not an uncommon form of "entertainment". It's hard to believe that it goes on today, and that people are sick and evil enough to enjoy it. I lost my beloved dog last month, which broke my heart, but at least I don't have the worry of something terrible like this happening to him, which I was always worried about.

It makes my blood boil that the theft of dogs isn't taken seriously (I'm not sure that it's even considered a crime). For real dog lovers,, it's one of the very worst things that could happen to them. I know that I would never really recover from it. When I see dogs tied up outside shops, if I see the owner come back to the dog, I tell them about dog thefts and they seem surprised. It's not even safe to leave dogs in cars.

I hate to say I have heard the bait for dog fighting thing too, but I didn't want to believe it. I'd go out of my mind if one of ours got taken and I thought that was going to happen to it. I really hope that isn't the fate of all those missing dogs I see on Facebook. Humans really are the worst species on the planet.

Sorry about your dog Russet x

I've heard the same too, it's horrible :( There are also lots of dogs stolen to order too it seems, there was a report of a lady nearish to here who was home with her door locked when a hand appeared through her letter box, the dog barked and the person walked away, the owner went out and confronted the person (a lady) and took a note book out of her hand, she had dozens of addresses written down, a few of which the owner recognized and all were people with dogs and the police thought she was getting addresses for someone looking to steal them :(

I've heard the same too, it's horrible :( There are also lots of dogs stolen to order too it seems, there was a report of a lady nearish to here who was home with her door locked when a hand appeared through her letter box, the dog barked and the person walked away, the owner went out and confronted the person (a lady) and took a note book out of her hand, she had dozens of addresses written down, a few of which the owner recognized and all were people with dogs and the police thought she was getting addresses for someone looking to steal them :(

That's terrible, so brazen too. But that's what I don't understand - who are the mysterious people 'ordering' these dogs? Not dog lovers surely, or they'd go through the more normal channels.

Dog fighting / for bait to train dogs to fight is the usual reason sadly :(

And as for police - the issue is most go from gardens - so you often can't prove they haven't run away rather than being stolen... And a runaway dog is not treated the same as a runaway child from a garden! :(

newrider.com