Dolly not too good. :(

Cortrasna

Grumpy old nag
Aug 5, 2009
Ireland
Some of you are probably aware that these past few months with Dolly have been worrying with increasingly aggressive and dangerous behaviour being the main issue. For those who might be interested this is the latest on it all. sorry bit long - do have a nice cup of tea or a drop of plonk on me :)

After a couple of recent unsuccessful attempts to ride her and on vets advice we removed everything from her diet apart from grass and hay and plain chaff. Unfortunately after a month it was obvious this had not stopped the sudden and inexplicable explosions from her, despite very quiet and typical Dolly behaviour for up to 7/8 days at a time.

Over last weekend she seemed particularly laid back and relaxed so I decided to tack her up and just walk her out in hand to see how she was, despite very strong objections from that lot indoors.:rolleyes:. Very bad decision - first five minutes grand until she suddenly exploded on the spot and once again trying to lash out at me and bite me - she would not go forward or backward - just up and fighting. Anyhow managed some how to get her back home by slowly manoeuvring her back towards home (you would think she would make a mad dash for home wouldn't you??? No- she wasn't going anywhere) Neighbour asked had I got a new horse, he couldn't believe it was Dolly I was trying to lead home! He asked what was wrong with her - replied I wish I knew :( By the next morning both my arthritic hands were so swollen from trying to hang on to her that I couldn't even clean my teeth lol! Poor old baggage I am!

Anyway my lovely vet came out Monday when I updated him on the ruling feeds etc. out - stepped out of the jeep and said - 'OH yes you are right she definitely has Cushings - so at least we agreed on that. complete work up done on her - he was here 2 hours. Ovaries scanned, all the usual - sight perfect, hearing great, heart marvellous, feet good, no pulses, weight good, no obvious signs of pain anywhere etc. etc. Took a lot of bloods - wants her to go to UCD in Dublin for more intensive tests but is reluctant to travel her that far sedated - but also cant risk sending her without sedation as too dangerous if she explodes en route. He agrees that something about her just isn't right and had hoped like me it would be a simple hormonal ovary type issues that would be easily dealt with - unfortunately not.

So blood results came back - very low red blood cell count in particular - she is definitely anaemic and probably feeling pretty shite just now, he is hoping the cushings might be throwing up the low red cell count and nothing else. Some other readings do indicate cushings and he will be doing a test for that on Tuesday to see what her levels are just now. Liver very good and some positive results considering she is now 17 etc.

He is reluctant to put her on prascend as this could exacerbate her aggressive and sudden outbursts and make her more dangerous than she already is but we will discuss that when her results come back next Wednesday. he has given me the 'talk' and frankly he is unable to rule out either a brain tumour or her enlarged pituitary pressing on her brain in some way - apparently very rare but can happen with Cushings. I have agreed if we cannot pin down within the next 6 weeks with further tests and observing her closely what is causing this and if it continues or escalates she will have to be PTS for her own safety and everyone around her too.

Gutted to say the least but trying very hard to remain positive. Healing and hopeful vibes please for the old Queen of Ireland - she needs it just now.:(

Sending healing vibes for Dolly and hugs to you too.
As I read that I was thinking brain tumour to be honest, as it happened to a friends horse.
Fingers crossed the tests bring up something treatable x

Reactions: Cortrasna
Big (((hugs))), what a horrible situation to be in.

Cushings can cause changes in temperament. My vet was reluctant to put Jim on Prascend for the same reason (though his behaviour was long term & as I pointed out she saw the worst of him & never the best) but it never caused a problem & if anything he became less erratic.

I know she'd be an unlikely candidate but has the vet considered ulcers? It's the sudden unexplained explosions that make me wonder.

I'm sending her lots & lots of healing vibes, and I'll do a bit of God bothering too. More hugs to you x

@ carthorse - yes he has mentioned ulcers in relation to the low red cell count - he doubts it but said we will definitely check for that at some point or she will be checked for that if we can get her safely to UCD . and thank you :)

Reactions: carthorse
Im so sorry to read this. Its awful when they are ill and act out of character, hopefully the vet can get to the bottom of it and he can get your old Dolly back for you. Sending hugs to you both x

Bugger, that's so sad :( I'm so very sorry that your gorgeous girlie has deteriorated, Cortasna. I really hope that you get a diagnosis and treatment plan rather than having to make The Decision. xxx

:( poor dolly and poor you having to deal with it too, hopefully the tests will show something up that you can try to tackle. Buckets of healing vibes coming from us here, I'll be keeping everything crossed for you for the next 6 weeks xx

So sorry you and Dolly are going through a rough time. Hopefully you can get to the bottom of it all. If it is cushings causing her temperament changes maybe if she starts on prascend it will bring her back to normal again?? I will keep everything crossed that it turns out to be something easily treated.

Bummer Mrs :( poor Dolly and poor you :(

I had the rumour talk when Kia was having what looked like fits, we trialled the Prascend and it stopped his fits. He was just very grumpy temperament wise But the Prascend stopped the fits. Only problem is he’s needed more and more as time has went on.

He is back to his normal self (as the vids show) so might be worth a punt starting at 1/4 of a tab and working up in 1/4 intervals 3weekly, I did this and had no veil.

Other than massive massive hugs and vibes I can’t really add anything at the moment to what you have already talked about. Xx

So sorry to read Cortrasna, I really hope they find something treatable and the old queen of Ireland is back to herself in no time, buckets of healing vibes for Dolly and huge virtual hugs for you. Xx

Sorry to read this, it must be very upsetting to witness her episodes. Your vet sounds wonderful, I hope he finds something treatable. Keeping everything crossed for Dolly and you.

Can’t believe what I just read I must have missed your first thread.

Fingers and toes crossed huge hugs and vibes for you both,

I have nothing to add knowledge wise but I sure you and the vet know what’s best all round c

Sending lots of healing vibes to Dolly and hugs to you. I don't know much about cushings or have any experience with similar behaviour so sorry no words of advice. Your vet sounds great and I hope you can get to the bottom of it and get the normally Dolly back.

newrider.com