Dolly was bitten by a dog today!

Cortrasna

Grumpy old nag
Aug 5, 2009
Ireland
:mad:

My poor gentle Dolly has just been bitten by a feffing dog that came under a gate out at her! We have passed there many times and the dog just flys up and down the fence line and the gateway. I have often thought that it looks like it could get under the gate or over the fence. Well it did, and hung on to her back leg, I leapt off and tried to whip it away with my crop, then it let go and hung on to her tail - eventually I managed to chase it back under the gate. She didnt even kick out at the little shite, I wish she had before it bit her it!

Owner came running out to apologise and where we both Ok etc...I said not her fault I was just shocked because I didnt expect it to come under the gate and do a full on attack. Anyway Dolly limped for a few paces but it is only a small nip and have washed it thoroughly and put antiseptic on it just in case. Another neighbour has told me she KNOWS it escapes and it has bitten before, attacked other dogs and bitten a dog walker!!!! FFS! I wish Dolly had stamped on it and killed it, sorry but although I am an animal lover I believe a dog like that should be PTS, sooner rather than later.

Oh and when I leapt off I was standing a good way from Dolly and the saddle and my Hit Air didn't go off it all just stretched down to me...I guess the lanyard is too long - any ideas how short it should be?:confused:

Oh hell how upsetting! Poor Dolly and poor you! God I would have been cross, I know what you mean, I love animals but not if they are badly behaved like that! Why the hell don't they keep it in if they know its got a habit of going for other animals?! Poor Dolly, oooh I feel dead annoyed for you both.

Nasty little git, glad dolly is okay though, can you go back and strongly suggest to the owner they need to modify their gate/control their dog and say if it were to happen again you would report them under the dangerous dogs act (it says you only have to feel threatened not actually be attacked to report it) or in fact given it's happened so many times just go ahead and report it anyway.

I had to laugh at the last bit sorry, I had images in my head of you jumping off to get the dog and your hit air working and giving you even more of a shock :D No idea about fixing the lanyard sorry.

Reactions: Cortrasna
OH wants to report it to the guards, but then it will almost definitely be destroyed, they don't mess about over here. I am inclined
to go ans speak to the neighbour and say unless they very quickly make their property totally dog proof I will go to the guards. But as it has escaped and attacked an injured several dogs before AND got out and bitten a walker, it is unlikely they will change anything now is it?

Not sure what to do TBH. But it does cut out several riding and dog walking routes for me, so not at all happy about that either!:(

At least if you talk to them they have fair chance to fix it, if they choose not to then I think reporting them is fair. It's unlikely they will change but maybe they just couldn't be bothered/didn't see the point and when their dogs life hangs in the balance will see sense.

I am glad you had a crop, its one of the reasons I carry one.
And yes I would report it, what if you had actually fallen off? What if it was a child on a pony? Its done it before, so they have had chance to sort the gate, train or rehome.
I have had dogs fly up at the gates, bark in cars. I was chased up the drive by one, who must have nipped her. Set her back weeks going out again.

I am leaning towards reporting it TBH....it will almost certainly be a death sentence for it, but local knowledge is that this sort of thing is not the first time, and they have done nothing to improve the fencing or the gate despite people appealing to them personally to sort it out.

It is only a minor nip either side of her ergot, (well hopefully that is all it is!) but it could easily have been far worse, and as OH said it could easily have turned on me when I ran at it with the whip. I have to say I hadn't thought of that, but there is nothing like, or as scary as, a demented old Irish biddy defending her beloved horse from attackers!:p

Reactions: Trewsers
Oh - and also met another neighbour on the way home with her collie and little mutt, she walked them both all around Dolly and let Dolly sniff them both, not a bother on her so thank God she hasn't lost her nerve around dogs.:)

Poor poor Dolly! And what a sweetie not to kick the bl**dy dog as it so richly deserved! Well done you though for chasing it off. I think I would go and give them a chance to fix the gate first, and report them if they didn't do it v quickly. But I can quite see the case for just reporting it as they've taken no action before. After all it could be a little child it bites next.

Poor Dolly and poor you! A friends horse lost her nerve with dogs totally after just such an incident and as we are in the forest, land of dog walkers, this rendered her pretty much unhackable.
I think you will have to report it to save someone else.
I would also expect owner to pay any vet bill that you might incur.
How horrid for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cortrasna
It's awful! Poor Dolly and poor you. Personally, I couldn't sign a dog's death warrant though, unless it was a pitbull or similar and could kill/seriously injure a child. The emnity you would occur locally would put me off. I would go have harsher words with them though.

Poor Dolly!!!!! What an absolute star for not even kicking out at it!

When you own an animal, you take responsibility for it's behaviour and as part of that if you know it has certain traits i.e can escape and will bite, it is the responsibility of the owner to make sure that doesn't happen, whether it be dog proofing the garden or making it wear a muzzle etc.

Any dog can develop aggressive tendencies, not just pitbulls and if you are the owner of a dog that has, to let it just carry on is negligent.

If it got loose around livestock and started nipping/being aggressive, the farmer only needs to see it and the dog would be shot on sight. Or a well placed kick from a horse or cow could seriously injure or kill a dog, so for a dogs' safety and the safety of those around it, any aggressive tendencies need to be managed otherwise the dog could end up in trouble even if it doesn't get reported to the guards.

Thanks Flump, you are echoing my OH's thoughts. As he said, for all I know they are deep puncture wounds and she could have a leg like a balloon in the next 48 hours. I don't think they are as I washed and inspected them thoroughly - but I would be devastated if she was seriously injured or sick from it all.

My dopey lab puppy(well ten months or so!) has been out in the paddock gathering tasty horse shite from under Dolly's back hooves, she grazes contentedly without a bother, so I think there is little or no psychological damage - but I bet she scoots past their house next time out!:(

It's awful! Poor Dolly and poor you. Personally, I couldn't sign a dog's death warrant though, unless it was a pitbull or similar and could kill/seriously injure a child. The emnity you would occur locally would put me off. I would go have harsher words with them though.

The enmity from locals will rather be a sigh of relief actually Squidsin, the dog has history big time apparently! One neighbour has already offered to go up there and shoot it - of course I have declined his offer! But that is an example of how seriously dogs who leave their own property and attack animals or humans is taken around these parts.

'unless it was a pit bull or similar'
....words fail me, why oh why do people always assume its the 'pit bull or similar' that is a danger to children, animals and adults??? Most dogs that are shot around here for sheep and livestock worrying are family pet dogs of every breed and type that are allowed to wander and create havoc, never seen a pit bull or similar amongst them.

Apart from the fact that as I have said, local opinion is with me on this, not against me - I would still base my decision on MY thoughts and beliefs not for fear of being disliked - being disliked isnt something I tend to worry about too much as it happens!:rolleyes:

Any type of dog that attacks people or other animals - unless its there profession (gun dogs, terriers/police dogs)- should be shot, I don't think people would worry about signing a death warrant on a dog that bit off a childs face? That is not just pit bull types....

The enmity from locals will rather be a sigh of relief actually Squidsin, the dog has history big time apparently! One neighbour has already offered to go up there and shoot it - of course I have declined his offer! But that is an example of how seriously dogs who leave their own property and attack animals or humans is taken around these parts.

'unless it was a pit bull or similar'
....words fail me, why oh why do people always assume its the 'pit bull or similar' that is a danger to children, animals and adults??? Most dogs that are shot around here for sheep and livestock worrying are family pet dogs of every breed and type that are allowed to wander and create havoc, never seen a pit bull or similar amongst them.

Apart from the fact that as I have said, local opinion is with me on this, not against me - I would still base my decision on MY thoughts and beliefs not for fear of being disliked - being disliked isnt something I tend to worry about too much as it happens!:rolleyes:

I'm not telling you what to do, Cortrasna, merely what I would do if it was me. Luckily expressing an opinion on a message board is not legally binding. ;)

Luckily expressing an opinion on a message board is not legally binding. ;)

What a very odd and unrelated response - and your point is?

newrider.com