Domestic cats, operating hours

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
I am just interested to know other people's experience.

We have 2 cats, both young females. Meisie, the older cat, is around and about for most of the day, but out for most of the night (unless she is busy bringing in mice to kill on the bed or eat under the bed).

Poppie, the younger cat, is invisible all day, but tucks herself up to sleep between us on the bed at night.

Such different hours of operation! When are your cats around and about?

The three we have, that is the first time I've said/wrote we only have 3 :-( , are all sleepy at night and come in, they have adapted to when we are awake and asleep. Henry however had never managed this and slept day time and awake night time he was the only one you could not let in the bedroom at night...he used to poke you in the back of the neck to get attention, if he was awake you were. used to hear him patrolling the flat in the middle of the night :smile:

Well our cat gets up to sit on the windowsill at day break - harrasses me into breakfast then sleeps on the bed all day. She then harrasses me into tea time when she promptly waits on the sofa for bed time and comes to bed with me for the night. So - hours of operation; very short split shifts only!

Ours (who was a stable cat who LOVES being a house cat instead!), Poppy is about 5yrs old and goes out and hunts for a bit in the early early morning and mid afternoon but most of the day she is asleep on one of the kids beds and most of the evening she is either on a lap or lays by our feet wagging her tail for a fuss. (she was brought up with puppies and even shows affection by licking people, what can I say.....?!)

our two cats are just continuously demanding food! they rarely go out much these days and live pretty permanently upstairs as the one is nervous of dogs and our collie has a habit of peeing on our bed sometimes so the stairs door is permanently closed. They shout at us for food as soon as we go upstairs at any time of the day! tbh they are active during the day more than the night, at night they sleep on me most of the time.

Ours are ALL in at night. Most are in all the time, they have a huge house to trash (it's trashed anyway and needs re-building, so the fact they have sharpened their claws all over the door frame and shredded the sofa doesn't actually bother us!)

They are always psychotic on a morning after breakfast, and thunder around the place, playing. Then they generally disappear to sleep somewhere (frequently I can't find some of them, but they appear at afternoon food time!)

At about 10pm they know I feed them again, so they have mad sessions of running and meowing and playing until I utter the 'cats cats cats' phrase when they all bundle to their food bowls. They all crash out after dinner, again, I frequently can't find some of them! :D

I always do a count up before I go to bed, which can take some time, to make sure none are in bedrooms where they are not allowed at night. They attack feet too much!! ;)

newrider.com