Dr. Cook reins--how are they?

Unbridled

Formerly Appy_Luv
Dec 29, 2004
USA
Visit site
I'm getting ready to order my Dr. Cook bitless bridle after spending a couple of months experimenting with my instructor's. Was actually going to go with a hackamore but Sugar loves the Dr. Cook so much she left me with no alternative.

Anyway...

Costs dictate I must buy the Beta bridle, but my instructor's is a Beta and hers is great, so I'm not worried there. But I've never heard anyone give any feedback on the Beta reins. My instructor uses her own leather reins on hers and no one else I know uses a bitless. I'm not getting rubber grips because I don't like them. But I did have concerns about the leather thong that apparently attaches the rein ends together. I understand its for safety but wouldn't that make it easier for the reins to come undone than if they buckled?

I don't have any reins of my own at the moment as I'm switching from western tack, so I'll be buying no matter what. I want something inexpensive, good quality, and easy to maintain. Any suggestions?

I too bought the Beta bridles but am using my own reins. For my gelding's bridle I used his own reins and for the mare's bridle I bought leather reins- way cheaper than the Dr Cook's reins would be.
Don't get me wrong: I think the Dr Cook's bridle is worth its price- but I feel okay saving money on the reins.
I also don't want Beta reins as they are tough to break in case you fall off and the horse steps on them. I'd rather have the reins snap than get the horse injured.

The Beta reins have a leather insert so they will snap if the horse steps on them, so I don't think safety is an issue. But they lace (with leather thongs) instead of buckling, which I'm not sure about. Also, I was wondering if they might be a little stiff? I do like the thought of them being so low maintenance, though. I think I might go to the tack shop and price leather reins before ordering.

Thanks for the reply. :)

ive been thinking about getting some beta reins. the beta on my dr cook is really supple and strong and has a bit of grip to it i think. i was also looking at the rope reins, they have a very good grip on them.

But where are the leather things? at the rings where they attach to the bridle so that it the horse stepped on them they could actually have a breaking point?
Or are tehy located at the end of the reins (holding the two reins together) where the reins and bridle still remain all Beta and barely breakable?

The leather is located at the end of the reins--two leather thongs lace together to join the reins, instead of buckling. This is for the safety of the rider so that if you fall and your hand is tangled in the reins the leather should snap. I'm not sure how much use it would be if the horse stepped on the reins, but that isn't an issue with me. I don't leave my horse unattended in a bridle--certainly not in a position they might step on the reins. I suppose if I fell off the is always a chance she might step on them...but then there is also always a chance that leather might not break as well.

Beta doesn't seem a bad deal, price-wise. Will do a bit more research though.

I am not really in a habit of leaving my horse unattended with the bridle on either. And I can honestly say I am not planning on falling off again which would result in the horse being unattended and the reins likelier tongle in front of it- but alas we rarely get a chance to vote on it... ;)

In my years of riding twice I fell off with the reins tangling in front. Twice leather reins. Once the snapped. Once the horse just steppend through them.

KarinUS said:
I am not really in a habit of leaving my horse unattended with the bridle on either. And I can honestly say I am not planning on falling off again which would result in the horse being unattended and the reins likelier tongle in front of it- but alas we rarely get a chance to vote on it... ;)

In my years of riding twice I fell off with the reins tangling in front. Twice leather reins. Once the snapped. Once the horse just steppend through them.

Oh! **Takes foot out of mouth.** I wasn't trying to imply that you were leaving your horses unattended. I just was saying I don't and that, to me, would present the biggest danger in a horse stepping on the reins. Sorry to be so unclear. :eek: I do see your point about falling, though. I've fallen twice in my riding experience, but fortunately both times Sugar stopped and the reins remained looped around her neck. I know that it might not always be like this, particularly if she spooked. I will definitely research this more before I commit to the Beta reins.

I did already order the bitless bridle, though. :rolleyes:

newrider.com