Dr Cook rubbing-again!

No_Angel

Apr 20, 2003
Ireland
I had a problem where the rings on the noseband of my Dr Cook were rubbing a small circular patch away on the side of my girls head. So I made some cushions for it and everything seemed to be ok. Then I went out for an exciting ride along a field she had never been on before and we ended up jogging and prancing and now we have rub marks again, exactly where they were before, even with the cushions.
Im a bit woried as she is fine skinned and I don't want to cause a sore, its not bothering her at the moment and its just the hair thats rubbed, but what can I do to stop this??

Last edited:
No suggestions I'm afraid, but I've had exactly the same problem, Sheila suggested padding it (not sure how when it's the cross straps and D rings causing the rubs rather than the noseband). Looks like it's a design problem if you have to apply the brakes meaningfully more than once in a while, so we're back in the pelham for hacking for the time being. Rather disappointed.

I have small rub patches but they don't seem to be causing any problems so I am just carrying on as normal and keeping a close eye!

I also bought a cashel nose band thingy which has stopped the rubbing under the chin! :D

I chose the Dr Cook because the teh scawbrig and such don't have enough brakes and the hackamore is too strong for her. Im very happy with it other than this.
Im in the process of making some more cushions for it, teh foam in the other ones had gone a bit thin so im using a bit from an old limpet pad. Hope it works.

Personally because the Dr Cook is a good alternative to a bit. The hackamore was a bit too much for my horse as well, and I'd worry about rubbing and excessive pressure in the rope halter, as well as it not being road legal.

I haven't had any problems (yet). Where exactly is the rubbing? And what kind of bridle did you get (leather, Beta, etc.)? Maybe we can narrow it down to a certain material causing more problems?

I have a beta one (I think Yann does aswell), and it seems to be just where the rings attach on the noseband, but it only rubs when we are doing more exciting work, mostly out hacking, last time I noticed it when I got back from hunting.

When you take up strongly on the reins the rings and cross straps where they run through them seem to slide back and rub the horse's jowls. They're not big rubs but tack shouldn't do that in my book.

I have the Beta for both DJ and Missy and haven't had any rubs. Right now all we do is hack and they do get pretty excited when we pass other horses, etc. I guess not strong enough though to get rubs?

mmmmmm no rubs on Taz on Bonney either and Taz has had hers for five years ( well the origional one for four and the beta for one if I have to be exact :D )

I suppose there are several ways to look at tha situation really

1. the REAL answer is in working at getting gee gee to slow down and stop with weight and legs aids alone :D ;) :D

....... but with the best will in the world our gee gees sometimes get excited :eek: If top class eventers with brill dressage scores can have "strong" horses on x country etc .... then our gee gees will certainly be normal if they have "strong" moments too - and us lesser mortals ;) need not beat ourselves up if we cannot halt them in their own length !!!!!

2. ideally yes tack should fit without rubbing ... difficult to compare with "normal" tack where there is not the same pressure / movement on a noseband since it is the bit that moves and puts pressure on the horses mouth (where rubs are not always so visible ).

with any cross under strapped bridle ( or with rope halter) I imagine it is well nigh impossible to prevent some movement ..... unless it was done up very snugly indeed at the very narrowest point of the jaw. Therre may be some development that might help , I dont know ... after all the beta version I have now has changed slightly in design form the original dr cooks ...

The design itself seems to be standing the test of time though as there are several other very similar - like the spirit bridle for example.

just had a thought , would sheepskin be a solution?

Yann said:
Sheila suggested padding it (not sure how when it's the cross straps and D rings causing the rubs rather than the noseband)

Many apologies Yann, I didn't understand fully when you emailed me about what was causing the rubbing :( :eek:

Perhaps you and / or no_angel could let me have photographs of the rubbed area (with and without the bridle) and I will look further into this. From other replies it seems as if this problem is only occurring with the beta bridle - yet tazzle has had her beta bridle for 5 years with no problems...

As you say, tack shouldn't do this; but I think it is important to get this into perspective and to compare some rubbing on the horse's face with the damage (often unseen) that bits can & do cause to a horse's very sensitive mouth. How many people who regularly use a bit actually check inside their horse's mouth - not just the fairly obvious corners, but the roof of the mouth and under the tongue? I have many stories related to me of the damage caused by bits, including one where the floor of the horse's mouth had been so badly damaged by a very expensive (dearer than the dearest padded leather BB!) well-known make of bit as to necessitate major surgery. And before you all cry "it's the hands at the end of the reins that do the damage" - how many of you who use bits check for the presence of bone spurs on the jawbone? No, you don't, because they are not visible (and you may never even have heard of them) - but they are excruciatingly painful to the horse and can be caused by the mere presence of a bit lying on the bars of the mouth.

**Rant over** //whatsherface hands soapbox back to hacked_off (different thread ;)) //

Last edited:
Thanks Sheil :) I noticed yesterday while I was tacking up that she also has two little rub marks under her chin, I thought they were just where shed caught herself when id applied wound powder in the morning, but noticed that when the reins are applied the cross straps move up and might cause this rubbing, and this was small sore area, not just rubbing, if you get me.
The problem I have is that she is an ex-racer who has not quite mastered the 'we like to walk on fields' bit yet, she tends to jog a abit.

I must also say that I can stop my horse within her own length, especialy when I get on and she says were off :D :rolleyes:

newrider.com