Dressage Bridle - question from dunce

beakysian

Mar 26, 2008
Durham, UK
I see pictures often of dressage riders on horses with complicated-looking bridles which have double reins. Can anyone tell me what the purpose of this is? Just curious....

a combined weymouth and bridoon (bits in a double bridle basically) have more definition and refinement compared to a normal snaffle, which is why they are used in higher level dressage. you can use littler aids and get the same affect so they are neater :)

Thanks for that. I'm assuming then that you would tend to use this with a highly trained horse with a sensitive mouth? Not something you would tend to see at your average RS.

a combined weymouth and bridoon (bits in a double bridle basically) have more definition and refinement compared to a normal snaffle, which is why they are used in higher level dressage. you can use littler aids and get the same affect so they are neater :)

Well put loopylozza! I was trying to think how to word it! A double bridle (2 bits) gives more 'precision' with more refined aids. It's essential that a horse is progressing through its training properly, and goes well and correctly in a snaffle, before progressing to a double bridle too. It's not the sort of thing you can chuck on an untrained horse and hope for the best...! ;)

I don't think you would see many RS horses being worked in a double bridle, unless being used in more advanced dressage lessons, maybe. :)

you wont see a double bridle at a RS, you might see a pelham though that also uses 2 reins but its only one bit.

me riding in a pelham-
3362138495a5072245647l.jpg

double bridle-
3362138495a8274486066l.jpg

he would love it over with you- no traffic, aslong as you had grandstands full of people to ride infront of anyway, the oddball.

if he wasnt so crap in traffic he would be my favourite too! :p

you wont see a double bridle at a RS, you might see a pelham though that also uses 2 reins but its only one bit.

I've just done a search on 'double bridle' because I've just had my lesson (at my RS) in one!
It was very weird at first, but not as hard as I thought it would be - very exciting. Was very worried in case I hurt my horse, but it was fine - don't think I did tooo badly for a first time.

Anyway, you do get them in an RS. This was a private lesson though.

newrider.com