Dressage, is it all it's cracked up to be?

I can tell you something, to do dressage brilliantly is much harder than to jump brilliantly, training a dressage horse takes time and understanding, but It is so much fun, kust as much fun as jumping and... don't laugh... Top Class dressage is so exiting to watch, to see how these horse just flow and seem to enjoy all that they do is breathtaking to watch, I was lucky enough to win tickets to the national championships and I can tell you it was just as exiting as going to Badminton Horse Trials, And about crowd noise, when I compete on my horse, I am soo glad the audience stay silent the slightest noise could just affect my ponies performance being the easily spooked type n I wouldn't want that to happen :)

I agree, dressage may LOOK boring, but usually it's a lot more interesting to WATCH at like, 2nd level or above. I have been riding it for a long while, and I really enjoy it... having a total connection feeling with your horse is the best thing in the world! =)

I know I am repeating myself but dressage is just A levels for horses. I was out with Moss recently and, typical dartmoor lane, very narrow and very skinny passing place. Moss sasshayed into it beautifully. Had he turned into it his bum would have stuck out into the lane. Dressage in the real world.

Dressage When You're Not Meant To Do Dressage!

Yeah! Sometimes when I try to get my horse to move over or something, while I'm in the process of doing that, he'll be doing a shoulder in or some complicated dressage move, and I won't even realise it!

Crazy I Tell You!
Maci :)

Nikita will do a perfect leg yield when he is supposed to canter. But he won't do it when I want him to leg yield.
He is not being mean - he just doesn't understand my aids. I guess it will come in time. :rolleyes:

my 'dressage uneducated' haffie did a little flying lead change yesterday whilst out hacking :) completely out of th eblue

LOL Maci! I know exactly how you feel, when I was riding Pal a few days ago, I was trying to move him over to the fence annnnnnnnnnnd WooHoo! Perfect half-pass! And I didn't realize it!

Of course, then when you try and get them to do things like that they won't do it, right?

Jacki

It's True!

It's like they can sense you thinking about it and how you're so determined to get it right, so they just do the opposite! :rolleyes:

Conclusion: "Thinking Too Hard Can Lead To Brain Failure!" LOL!
Maci :)

[Edited by Maci on 13th May 2001 at 05:14 PM]

When I first bought my nutter the last thing on earth you'd think he'd be able to do was dressage. He used to panic in the ring, he couldn't walk he just went fast in a mad rush. Now after a couple of years of taking things VERY slowly he is an absolute joy, he's calm, he listens, no more panic and now he has his ears pricked and he smiles! Dressage training can give a nervous horse so much confidence and faith in his ability. His shoulder in now is magical it used to be panic, panic, leap sideways, panic, bolt!!

newrider.com