Dressage Whips

Mounting With A Dressage Whip

NEW QUESTION!

I have never mounted with a dressage whip. When I am mounted, I usually get it from a near-by ledge or someone hands it to me. What I want to know is how you hold one while mounting? The same as a normal crop? I don't want to stab myself with it while trying to mount, that's why I'm asking how to, before I physically do!

Thanks!
Maci :)

PS- The d.whip is working great! I don't use it all the time, as I don't want to become totally dependant on it, but when I do use it, WONDERFUL! Much more control!

ok i just lost my message..
ways to mount with a dressage whip...
1- dont mount with the dressage whip!
put it under the saddle flap on the right side of the horse...mount...then pull it out from under the flap...i do this most of the time! it allows you then to mount the horse and check the girth with free hands.
2- leva eit somewhere along the arena so when you mounted adn ready to start working you can wlak the hrose up to the dge lean over and take your whip.
3- get someone to pass it to you.
the next 3 suggestions are my least favourite but i have mounted like this!
1- hold the whip in your left hand pointing down to the ground grab(on the left side of the horse) the reins with the same hand...mount and voila!
2- hold the whip in the left hand but with the whip hanging over the right side of the horsemount..etc.
3- hold the whip in your right hand and as you hoist, mount like one noramlly does..and bring the whip over the horses bum with your hand as you mount...
i dont liek those 3 suggestions much..the others are much easier!
as for dismounting...drop the whip on the floor and jump!hehehehe...just kidding..but i think its easier to dropt he whip ont he floor than to dismount with it still in your hand..but off course out of politeness one should bring the whip into the left hand and dismount to make matters easier...ok thats the second time i had to write this out, i wrote my user name wrong last time ad it told me to go back and correct it and when i got back my post was gone :(

newrider.com