Driving Lessons- Where do i go? Who do i ring?

antonia :)

Apr 18, 2007
Essex Bird =]
I'd like to give driving ago because i struggle with riding physically.

After a of bad fall last year ive done my left shoulder in. Also i have knee problems and hip problems so find mounting (using a mounting block) difficult and my joints tend to swell up after riding (especially me knee's) and i cant walk for 2 days after :eek: i also struggle riding for long (over half an hour) because my knees get really painful and my hip.

So anyway after watching driving on telly and having a bit of a taster of it with friends and their horses ive decided that id like to start lessons after about 5 months of thinking about it. I feel that it would be easier on my knee's and hips and plus it looks like tonnes of fun and its something new for me to learn.

Anyway, i really have no clue if you can have normal lessons without your own horse? Are there yards that do driving lessons like this?

Also people that struggle with similar problems how do you find driving compared to riding?

Any help would really be appreciated to point me in the right direction.
Thank you :eek: :)

A good place to start is the BDA http://www.britishdrivingsociety.co.uk/ there should be an instructor near to you and the site will give you lots of info.

I had lessons a while ago after I had a fall and lost confidence riding. I found it a great way to do somehting around horses that was different. It was also interesting to learn something completely new at the age of 40+. Only problem I found was that it can be bumpy and my back is a bit creaky!

It depends on the vehicle, :D :D IN our trad. original wooden vehicles it's like foating along.

In some of the modern exercise vehicles it can rattle your teeth a bit! :D :D

Join a local driving club and offer your services as groom. That way you will learn as you go.

There are often folk who need an extra person about.

hi, and welcome :D I am on the other side of Braintree, hubby is going to book me some lessons at ashfields, they have an event there next month you could go and have a shuftie about , I recomend having a chat with the gentleman in the sales office. Good luck

Ashfields (near Great Dunmow) is a fantastic place - I am going to an event there on the 7th - 9th of August. If you go please come and say hallo - I have a grey 13.2 and I compete in Open Pony. My husband has a pair of chestnut Gelderlanders and is in Advanced Horse Pairs.
There are many people competing who hobble around with various problems and when they get up on their carriages they take on a whole new persona! Sometimes getting on the carriage is their only problem but there are plenty of ways to cope with this :D.
I had been riding for thirty years when I started driving nine years ago and I much prefer driving. It as a fantastic sport and you will find everyone very friendly and helpful. The East Anglia club is very active and well supported - you could try contacting Fiona Powell or Mike Watts for info on the club, I'm sure there will be contact details on the club website if you have a Google.

newrider.com