Drop nosebands?

igloo

Sep 15, 2007
I've now decided to replace Jim's flash noseband with something else as we're not happy with it and was thinking of a drop noseband?

Now I know these aren't in 'fashion' at the moment but I couldnt care less :rolleyes:

So if anyone has any photos of their horse ridden in one and any experiences of them to share that would be great :)

Also if you know anywhere to get a nice one feel free to tell me.

I prefer a drop noseband , here is Belle in her old one before she wrecked it on the stable door.
BelleandI-2.jpg

My RI mentioned the other day that they seem to be getting more popular again.

Last edited:
I used to ride in a drop on Amber, it worked, but I was always conscious that it could cut off her breathing as they are fitted so low.

I've just gotten one for Lantern and tend to switch between that and my mexican grackle, it's pretty good although mine needs a few extra holes in it as he gets his mouth open still. That's why i still use the grackle til i get extra holes in it:) -

picture.php

picture.php

Thanks all :)

So can they restrict the breathing? More or less than a flash? Because thats part of the reason we're changing. I'd go without a noseband if I could but he puts his tounge over the bit.

Thanks all :)

So can they restrict the breathing? More or less than a flash? Because thats part of the reason we're changing. I'd go without a noseband if I could but he puts his tounge over the bit.

Personally I think they don't restrict any more than a flash if fitted correctly. I've certainly seen some flashes done up so tight that they must have been causing problems.

I've used one with P to give me a bit more control, I'm really pleased because I have been riding her in a plain cavesson for a few months now & haven't needed to use her drop so hopefully it's got her out of the habit of opening her mouth to evade :) I tend to fit drops fairly high to make sure they don't interfere with the breathing - here's how I had it on P. As youcan see her mouth wasn't exactly clamped shut but IMO she should be able to lick & chew a bit ;)

eckington4.jpg

Thanks guys :) I'm definately seriously considering one now.
Any recommendations for makes etc?

Thanks guys :) I'm definately seriously considering one now.
Any recommendations for makes etc?

I have a very posh Barnsby one which is all padded. I used to have a Decathlon one, the entire bridle cost less than £10 :eek: Made no difference to Mrs P which one I used as far as I could tell! I think it's how you fit them, rather than what make they are, that is important.

The drop nosebands do get slobbered on (back chape and strap) and tend to become hard, dry and brittle if not regularly cleaned and the leather fed making them more prone to breaking. It is more costly to have a new back chape and strap put on than it is a new flash lower strap supplied on a flash noseband.
Hope this helps, Oz :)

I was asking about this a while ago as he was crossing his jaw and I was always being told to tighten the flash and it just seemed too tight to me! :eek:
This is the thread - there are also a few interesting links that people have pasted into it which explain a bit more about them. :)

http://www.newrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146880&highlight=drop+nosebands

Here is Dylan with his.

DSCF6224.jpg

slightly o/t, but I'm curius as to how your throat lash is done up on the right hand side?

The drop nosebands do get slobbered on (back chape and strap) and tend to become hard, dry and brittle if not regularly cleaned and the leather fed making them more prone to breaking. It is more costly to have a new back chape and strap put on than it is a new flash lower strap supplied on a flash noseband.
Hope this helps, Oz :)

Thankyou :)
I hadnt thought of that actually. I would have to stop being lazy and not cleaning my tack often enough then!
We'd probably start with a cheapo one to see how he goes in it anyway so hopefully it wont cost us a bomb in replacements :p

slightly o/t, but I'm curius as to how your throat lash is done up on the right hand side?

How do you mean? It's sticking up a bit but it just is buckled with 2 leather keepers. The 2nd keeper is pushed up higher rather than low as otherwise it just slips off! :p Is that what you mean? :confused:

no its supposed to be fastened on the other side :)

cant work out how you've done it, because it would put the cheek pieces behind the throatlash, or if you turned it over the buckles would be done up wrong...

newrider.com