Dropped sole

AJ Yammie

Aug 24, 2021
Ok, so this time I waited for dad to go out and spoke to mum alone. She agreed to let me use my money form my locked savings account (I’m not meant to access it until I’m in uni) it only took more than an hour…. Anyway, we’ll call the vet in a two days ans see when he can come out

Last edited:

Mary Poppins

Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
Personally I wouldn't be rushing to get the vet out right now. Is the horse lame? Have you noticed any problems? Do you think the horse is struggling?

The farrier may have noticed that your horse has dropped soles, but I would want to know more about the farriers opinion on this first. It would be very rare to find a 20 year old horse with perfect feet and farriers often make these throwaway comments which are often just observations and not indicative of any real issues. You say that the farrier said that the horse may be prone to lameness in future - well that doesn't mean that he is lame right now. Nor does it mean that he needs to see a vet right now. I'm not sure exactly what you would achieve by calling the vet out? If the farrier felt the horse was in pain he would have told you.

As your parents have horses I suspect that they are keeping an eye on your horse, and if in fact they felt there was a need they would call the vet themselves. As a parent of a teenage son who keeps reptiles, I keep an eye on the health of his animals and would always intervene if necessary. However, he often panics and thinks there is an issue where there isn't one. On more than one occasion he has got himself into a real state by taking advice from the internet when in fact there was nothing wrong.

Reactions: Huggy

AJ Yammie

Aug 24, 2021
Oh, well I mean to call the vet out to get a blood test, I mean sure, I could drive Jake there or take blood myself but I’d rather the vet come out. I’ve taken blood samples from our cows many times ans a horse once. I’d only ever do it myself in an immediate emergency

Last edited:

Mary Poppins

Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
Oh, well I mean to call the vet out to get a blood test, I mean sure, I could drive Jake there or take blood myself but I’d rather the vet come out. I’ve taken blood samples from our cows many times ans a horse once. I’d only ever do it myself in an immediate emergency
I'm not entirely sure what you are getting a blood test for? What are you going to ask the vet to check for? If you think your horse may have PPID then take a step back and look at the whole picture. A quick google search will tell you the main symptoms. Does he have a thick coat that doesn't shed? Is he more thirsty than normal? Does he have poor immune response? Has he ever had laminitis? While I agree that foot pain may be one symptom of PPID, I really wouldn't be calling the vet due to one comment that the farrier made about dropped soles, especially since he said himself that there was nothing that could be done about it and from what I can tell, there isn't anything to indicate that your horse is in any pain. Asking a vet to come out and run bloods will quickly run up big bills. While I wouldn't hesitate to do this if I felt there was an issue, in your case I am not convinced there is.

Reactions: Huggy

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
@Mary Poppins she's said before that the horse is tripping when ridden, the soles are not only dropped but thin, and he's 20 years old. That, for me, would be enough to make an acth test worthwhile, particularly if you add in hoof wall separation which can come from low level laminitis.

Mary Poppins

Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
@Mary Poppins she's said before that the horse is tripping when ridden, the soles are not only dropped but thin, and he's 20 years old. That, for me, would be enough to make an acth test worthwhile, particularly if you add in hoof wall separation which can come from low level laminitis.
Lots of horses trip when ridden and there could be multiple causes for this. As for the hoof issues, I think that the farrier is the person to make recommendations on any treatment and he is not recommending anything. In my opinion, yes it is worth keeping an eye on and making further enquiries when the farrier comes back but I don't see this as requiring a vet to come as a priority on Monday morning.

chunky monkey

May 2, 2007
I think there are some general issues that require some attention here based on what the op has been posting. I think those issues need to be addressed with there family who appear to be looking after the horse. I hope that the op takes on board the comments and discusses them with there family for the welfare of there horses.
Im reading between the lines that this poster maybe in another country to most of us. My question would be does the horse have annual booster vaccinations and teeth checks. Are they due anytime soon, in which case combine the vet visit and ask veterinary advice for your concerns and mention the farrier comments on the feet at the same time. Get the vet to check the feet and to do a trot up and flexion tests.
The vet can then provide feedback.

Reactions: carthorse

AJ Yammie

Aug 24, 2021
He’s up to date with vaccines and teeth, they were done just after the floods so march-ish.

Jake doesn’t have a fluffy coat, quite the opposite. His winter coat looks like a normal summer coat. In summer his hair is so fine you can see all his little spots on the skin, I’ve tried treating it with anti fungal and anti bacterial washes but they did nothing. Having him rigged in summer with just a thin fly sheet helped a bit and he had fly spray everyday but still he was super fine. I asked my old coach about this and he said it’s a quarter horse thing but I haven’t seen any with coats that bad. I’ll attach some pics here.

I don’t know about drinking and urination as I don’t live with him but he pees at the start of each ride and has a drink after which seems normal, working on a full bladder is bound to be uncomfortable and it makes sense to drink after.

He does sweat a lot, which I have pointed out to my parents. I used to be able to have him put of work for a month or two and get back on and ride like normal and he’d barely sweat but now, being ridden at least once a week, he starts sweating after a quick lunge and is covered in it by the end, im not working him hard either. It’s a good 10 min warm up, trot and a bit of canter, we don’t really do circles and when we do they’re big. The most physically demanding thing we do is rollbacks which he is super good at and seems to enjoy.

Im not sure if he has had laminitis before, we’ve only had him for 5 years and in that time he hasn’t but he’s always been pussy footed, shoes helped for when we went on mountain trails and dirt roads but he doesn’t have shoes now so I don’t do those stuff.

And yes, I’m in australia, coastal so there are lots pf flies, bugs and snakes. Summers here are up to almost 50c and winters get down to 0. Our farm is in the middle of nowhere in a small town that’s a truck stop used for most people going north. Our city house is a few hours away in a busy town with only small acreages and no large animal vets

In the picture I attached if his hood you can kinda see the puddy the farrier put in but I’ve also highlighted the areas. Also, ignore the cut on his chest, it was a paddock injury that was gone in a few days, it’s just a photo that shows how little hair he has

Attachments

• B7E446C2-F051-41A3-90EC-F6E2328B3D4F.png
    B7E446C2-F051-41A3-90EC-F6E2328B3D4F.png
    522.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 68ADBC32-C3E2-4A06-9B3E-EEBACC08AE09.jpeg
    68ADBC32-C3E2-4A06-9B3E-EEBACC08AE09.jpeg
    110.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 00B18CCC-B549-4280-A380-3DACCA3E0252.png
    00B18CCC-B549-4280-A380-3DACCA3E0252.png
    573.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 573B00F9-6E17-45C8-8FE4-C0B9B674ECEE.png
    573B00F9-6E17-45C8-8FE4-C0B9B674ECEE.png