dry mud plastered into cuts? help.

CurlyWurlyRach

Curly Wurly 1997 - 2009
Apr 11, 2006
Yorkshire! land of the sheepies!
If it isnt a Curly problem to start the year off with a bang! bless the wee sausage.

today was the first time in over a month that ive seen my horse in daylight and gave her a good groom. Whenever i brushed her filthy hock she flinched and tried to run away from me so in the end i hosed the caked mud off her leg and found that shes taken a chunk (about a cm in diameter) out of her hock and its plastered with mud so i have no idea how deep. the mud is really caked on as it wont come off using the hose (she reacted quite badly to me hosing it anyway and kept cow kicking even when i held a front leg up) and i darent try to brush it again incase i brush more dirt in. no heat or swelling.

What shall i do? i must confess that im stumped. both her hocks are often skinned but shes not usually agressive about having them touched and sorted. Im aware that it may well be a vet job (££££ and im a poor student :rolleyes: ) but if i could just get it clean, i can treat it myself as ive had plenty of experience dealing with curlys little disaters.

x

wont warm water and a sponge remove it. Would think it would be softer to the touch and help the mud come off alittle better

Just a thought but maybe a hot dressing/poultice? That would soften, maybe loosen the mud for u to then bathe it clean

Same as Flash Harry, only I'd use pevidine, ....coz I don't have any hibbiscrub :D :D

After having a hock injury last year which didnt look that bad but turned terrible i would always now get the vet when it concerns a joint injury. It just looked like a scrap but there was a hole right through which we just couldnt see and as i say it turned into a very nasty situation. Sorry, probably not what you wanted to hear but as i say any injury on the joint would now be a vet visit.

I do hope Curly is okay.

Gx

I would hot poultice it as well, its easy enough to bandage the joint, get a nice elasticy bandage and your animalintex or whatever poultice you are using, place the poultice onto the effected area You basically do a figure 8 style of wrapping the hock. Start with the bandage at the front of the hock, then work your way to the back bottom of the joint, work your way around to the front again and this time when you are working your way towards the back again you go to the top of the hock...over the joint then back to the front again and then back under the joint. I hope this makes sense. :D

kisses for curly hope she isnt too sore.:D

If she's flinching to water/the touch i'd suggest its not completely covered over by the mud as water striking it is probably sore. I would clean it off with warm saline as much as possible and plaster on a load of antiseptic cream personally.

I may even put some warm moist animalintex or similar over the wound and bandage into place. You may find that most of the mud comes off onto the animalintex if left overnight as the heat from the leg/blood flow/poultice would loosen the mud.

I would then reasses in the morning and if you can clean it further then you can take a good look at it, if not might be worth getting the vet as she may need antobiotics to prevent infection taking hold from the bacteria in the mud.

My horse is the same, he's out 24/7 but is slightly stiff now due to arthritis and I think he finds it a little difficult to get up sometimes and obviously he scrapes the back of his hocks on the ground.

He too gets a mud like scab on both hocks which I try and brush off or gently soak off or pick off. His don't usually bother him. If you manage to get the scab off clean it gently (don't use undiluted hibiscrub as it can be an irritant as it's quite strong,water will be good enough) and they try to dry it out with antiseptic powder.

Usually with my horse it's only surface and not deep so doesn't really cause any problems.

I assume your horse an his tetanus jabs regularly?
Deb379

newrider.com