Dry Skin/Scabs

Blossom

Jan 6, 2002
South Devon
Visit site
Hiya

As you all probably already know I have a new horse (had her 2 weeks today)! Ebony suffers from sweetich and since I have had her her skin has been really scurffy, today when I was grooming her I noticed that her tail had HUGE chunks of what appears to be dry skin on and all over the base of it. I combed some of it out and a girl on the yard recommended a lotion called BNT Lotion or something like that, I had tried doing a search but can't find anything. I think I may have mixed up the letters or not heard properly - does anyone know what I mean?

Blossom

Have you tryed putting oil in your horses feed. This can realy help with dry skin. I often bathe my horses in iodine when theye get sweat itch. Its great but can be a bit drying. But if you use a good musturiseing product after it's fine.

my mare suffered a similar thing. i used to feed a natural herbal supplement by hobson & horrell, which worked wonders. i cant think what its called, but i'll let you know as soon as it comes to me.

one thing you might want to make sure of is that it isn't a fungal infection. If it's an anerobic fungal infection, it'll prefer moist undisturbed conditions, and lotion will only make it worse (especially if it's unmedicated!).
I'm not trying to imply that your horse has a fungal infection, I'm just mentioning it because I have a friend who did the exact same thing. It ended up being the early stages of something similar to rain rot and the lotion made it like 10 times worse.
Good luck though. Hopefully it's just dry skin.

newrider.com