Duke of Edinburgh's Award : Horses as a Skill

kyanya

Jan 19, 2003
Aberystwyth
spaces.msn.com
I'm just about to start my Silver Duke of Ed's award, after just completing the Bronze. For anyone who doesn't know what DofE is all about, have a look at this

I've been looking at the list of Skills, and I'm not too sure what to pick for this section. Last time I attended a 3 month photography course, but this time I need to do 6 months, and courses aren't arranged for that length of time.

However, I've seen the Horses - Handling and Care programme, and think it may be do-able, because I'm already sharing a horse. But I'm a bit confused about what the programme really requires, and how it should be successfully undertaken.

Does anyone have any experience or ideas? I'm pretty sure no-one runs classes or training specifically for this, and so I'd have to do it independently. But how would I go about this? I think maybe a qualified instructor in the family, or maybe even my share pony's owner, could do the assessing bit, but how/what would they assess? Should I do assignment type things, which can be reviewed, or go more for the practical approach?

Sorry, this is quite rambled, it's reflecting my current state of confusion :D

Last edited:
I had a look at that, and decided that, since my school doesn't do Horse Treks, and I had no skills, it was pointless. I know the point is to help the community and get something out for yourself, but it seemed like a waste of time for me.

Maybe work with the RDA if possible?

Or, I think a girl in my class is doing that - and has found a horse simulation game on the web, is allowed to do that. She's using whiteoakstables.net or something.

hey, I want to do horse handling as a skill (as I have NO skill) so figured I could just get my coach to sign it? I'm doing silver too!!! You doing your expedition on horse back?

Thanks for the advice!

As ajhainey says, the BHS Horse Owner Certificate's do look very similar. I've sent out a few emails to instructors in my area who are supposed to run courses, and if that's no good, I'll ring round some more instructors and some riding schools too. I've also emailed the Pony Club for some advice, as it says they are the governing body to that programme. Then again, it says the British Horseracing Board is a contact for the Horseriding as a Physical Recreation activity!!:eek:

Horseygal90, I'm talking about the Skill section of DofE, not the service. I'm helping little kids read for my service, but if I wasn't I would have looked into the RDA. I doubt they'd have time to teach me for the skill section though!

Canadianbeaver, I'm not doing a horseback expedition. I know I'd enjoy it, but it's so much less hassle to just go with the flow of my school-organised expedition on foot. It'll only cost about £50, with all training and equipment included, to do it with my school. If I ever got onto my Gold award though, I'd have to think a bit more carefully about it. Are you doing the expedition on horse back?

I completed my Gold last year - finally! - after being involved in D of E for five years. I wanted to do a ride for my assessment but nobody else in my group likes horses! In the end we did a week in the Swiss Alps which was great fun.

I think the horse care is a great one to do for your skill since you will probably learn something useful while you are doing it! You could find a riding school to assess you on a regular basis, but I suggest you speak to your advisers about it so they can tell you how they think you should proceed. Remember they are there to help you, not just to assess you!

Some of the things on the syllabus are practical skills, like the tacking up etc, but others are theoretical (like the stuff about feeding) so you would probably have to answer questions for some elements. But as a sharer you will probably be able to do it all independently rather than having to attend a riding school.

hey!
im just about to do my bronze duke of edingburgh. i am doind horse riding for one of my parts. i have been told that aslong as i ride for at least 1 hour every week, i can get my mum to sign my book for me. i dont think you have to get anyone qualified to sign it. my friend did horse care for her silver and just got her mum to sign it who has no idea about horses. as long as you have someone who can sign it saying that you have done it for at least 1 hour a week it should b fine. hope this has been of some help! :p

Originally posted by kirsty1
hey!
im just about to do my bronze duke of edingburgh. i am doind horse riding for one of my parts. i have been told that aslong as i ride for at least 1 hour every week, i can get my mum to sign my book for me. i dont think you have to get anyone qualified to sign it. my friend did horse care for her silver and just got her mum to sign it who has no idea about horses. as long as you have someone who can sign it saying that you have done it for at least 1 hour a week it should b fine. hope this has been of some help! :p
If I'd known that, I'd be doing it! Too late now though.

I've just started my bronze (well not really cose i lost my book :p )
and i was thinking of doing that but also have no idea what it means, we cant do riding for expedition till gold though.

I have the book - I can do dog-walking for the service, and trmapolining for the Physical, and now the riding for the skill! Might do that.

yeah, I'm doing it on horseback! It'll be a blast, although all my friends are annoyed with me for ditching them for the expedition.... I created a few 'memories' on the practise one! LOL! Oh doe, such a great thing to do!

newrider.com