Dull coat

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
Jess looks like a right scruffy baggage at the moment, her coat has gone really dull and skin a bit scurfy (both most unlike her), it's coincided with her shedding gallons, I've been grooming her twice daily with a shedding blade but I think this is going to call for a bath at the earliest opportunity. Are yours dull when shedding?

Most of the horses on our yard look like scruffy nags just now, so you're not alone, Belle never really shines like some horses do, but she never really looks dull or dirty either.

Reactions: Jessey
Oh yes. LU was clipped in November so only has a partial winter coat, but even so the other week he looked like something the cat wouldn't rag in & grooming seemed to make him look worse because every loosened hair brought it's own bit of scurf to the top *shudder*. He's looking a bit better now, I often find the best thing is to keep putting him out naked & let him roll it out while getting some sun on his back.

Oh yes. LU was clipped in November so only has a partial winter coat, but even so the other week he looked like something the cat wouldn't rag in & grooming seemed to make him look worse because every loosened hair brought it's own bit of scurf to the top *shudder*. He's looking a bit better now, I often find the best thing is to keep putting him out naked & let him roll it out while getting some sun on his back.
She's naked every day and on grass currently (normally better than when living on dirty sand) but we have only had maybe half a days rain in the last month and everything is very dry, dusty and un-rinsed currently. She was barely shedding 2 weeks ago but it's now coming out in bucketful's :)

Jess looks like a right scruffy baggage at the moment, her coat has gone really dull and skin a bit scurfy (both most unlike her), it's coincided with her shedding gallons, I've been grooming her twice daily with a shedding blade but I think this is going to call for a bath at the earliest opportunity. Are yours dull when shedding?

Can't tell on the mares cos they're grey - but haven't noticed in Zi (chestnut). But he's rolling and rolling lately and I don't groom from head to toe (takes too long if I want to ride him). :)

If she's moulting I wouldn't worry too much. Moulting means good health generally. If she was under the weather shed probably hold onto it. I'd wait until she's mounted more then see if the coat is still dull.
Chunky never really shines. I'm feeding linseed which for most horses shines the coat not on my lads.

Yep the wee man looks moth eaten with no shine despite being on linseed and being bright in every other way.

Kia was the same at this time of year, casting made him look terrible :)

Buddy looks a bit dull in his coat which is beginning to come out, he has his first show in may so I guess we will be getting the shampoo out nearer the time, particularly on his yellow feathers.

Poor old Ramsey looks at deaths door at the best of times, but now he's shedding he looks appalling! He'll have about a month of looking okay-ish, then it's clip time, as the coat comes back!

Jack is terribly scruffy at the moment, but then he's an old man so it's probably allowed. A lot of his scruff is down to the fact that he loves a roll and he has so much dust in his coat that the more I groom him the worse he looks, as all the dirt comes to the surface. I gave him a good groom tonight and got loads of hair out, enough to make another small horse I think, but I couldn't make him look presentable. Raf doesn't seem to be doing anything. He's clipped all over apart from half a face and his legs, but he's grown a beard of cat hairs, which don't seem to be shedding, nor is there any sign of a summer coat coming through. He looks really well in himself though, shame that he's half lame.

Mine is terribly scurfy. It’s awful. The more I brush, the worse he is. And he is so dusty too because he is out naked and loves a roll.
I don’t care though, we don’t show and he is happy, so no problem with a bit of dirt.

Oh, and I have never bathed a horse either, is that bad? I wash them down if they get very sweaty in hot weather, but just a brush with water, never any shampoo.

Reactions: Huggy and Jessey
Mine is terribly scurfy. It’s awful. The more I brush, the worse he is. And he is so dusty too because he is out naked and loves a roll.
I don’t care though, we don’t show and he is happy, so no problem with a bit of dirt.

Oh, and I have never bathed a horse either, is that bad? I wash them down if they get very sweaty in hot weather, but just a brush with water, never any shampoo.
Phew - someone same as me! Very occasionally use a soap free mint shampoo with sponge and bucket, (no need to rinse) as it soothes his skin, otherwise same.

I use that Lavender Wash (no need to rinse) to wash sweat off, as I found that water alone just didn't get the sweat out and Raf got flaky greasy skin. I like the idea of mint though, I prefer the smell to lavender. What's it called @Huggy?

I use that Lavender Wash (no need to rinse) to wash sweat off, as I found that water alone just didn't get the sweat out and Raf got flaky greasy skin. I like the idea of mint though, I prefer the smell to lavender. What's it called @Huggy?
Lovely smell!
20190411_174815.jpg

Oh, it's made by the same company as the Lavender Wash. Thanks @Huggy. I'll see if our local tack shop stocks it, if not they'll get it in for me.

newrider.com