Dummies Guide to Working hunter

M

mu0ljk

Wasn't sure whether to put this in the showing section or the jumping section but heigh ho!

I am thinking about trying a working hunter class with Otto but know absolutely nothing about it other than you jump some rustic fences and do a show? Do they include water tray/jump?

Could you tell me what I should be wearing and what the horse should be wearing tack-wise - are martingales ok? I'm guessing that you will tell me I need a tweed jacket but I don't have one - will this be a problem, taking into account that it will be the smallest class I can find! :p

Also, what happens in the show? I have never done any showing before and just have a vague idea that you have to do a figure of 8?!

Oh - and any pictures would be fantastic too!

Thank you!

:)

yes you can wear a martingale (or the hoorse can anyway!).

tack wise as little as possible is preferred, but safety and control is more important so whatever you need really.

you should wear a navy velvet hat with flesh harness (harness not important but better), tweed jacket is correct but plain navy or black jacket is ok as well if thats what you have. long black boots (or short black boots and leather gaiters) beige/canary jodphers or breeches. shirt and tie.

in the show you need to include walk, trot and canter on both reins and a gallop/extended canter.

think thats just about everything :) hope it helps

good luck :D

newrider.com