Dung Eating?

Mrs I

Apr 14, 2001
Visit site
The newest edition to my equestrian gang is eating dung when turned out, I remember having read about this in the past and I think it has something to do with a vit/min defficiency but cannot remember wether or not it was a particular one or just a general lack of vit/mins. Have made editions to his diet in the way of a general supplement and a field and stable block, but he still does it and I am obviously concerned about the worm implications!! has anyone else had experienceof this??

Yes, somewhere in the dim and distant past - I know! There were several suggestions about vit/min deficiency, but our (then) resident vet said that it can sometimes mean the horse is trying to boost its own gut flora. So possibly a short course of probiotics might be called for? Also, if the horse has a long-standing deficiency it can take quite big doses of whatever he's short of to fill the gap. But I wouldn't start stuffing him with anything excessively without consulting a vet because you can do just as much damage by overdosing with these things as you can by witholding them.

The gut flora scenario raised by ros is one possibility- sort of like us eating yoghurt. I think from memory this is more likely in young horses (babies) who do this at around the time that they start grazing... don't quote me on that but its tickling the back of my memory from somewhere.

But there is also a high possibility of vitamin B deficiency esp B1
Worms are worth a check too - perhaps a blood test for anemia might give you some idea of the problem - sometimes horses with high worm counts succumb to iron\vit B deficiencies and they will then eat dung - injections of high dose iron\vit b are often prescribed by the vet for this (but do get the vet to diagnose this one) Another dietary imbalance thought to play a part is low protein and\or fibre ... so you can see that the dietary component may be quite complex.

MOST LIKELY cause - Is the horse stabled? The vast majority of 'dung eaters' are stabled\stalled horses and they are doing this out of simple boredom (occasionally it is just outright hunger) which then becomes a habit, like weaving and cribbing. You say this is a new horse and this could well be the case if the horse looks fit and healthy in every other way.

Last edited:
Maverick used to eat his dung. the only thing that was handy about it was that I had no mucking out to do, but other than that it was digusting. We did a lot to try and stop him, whether it was spending all day beside his stable and getting to his dung before he could, or better we changed his diet. He went onto a mixture of pony/cubes and oats, rather than just oats, plus we had his teeth rasped. That helped a lot as he is getting most minerals when he eats his food first time road.

Thank you all for your advice. He doesn't eat the dung in the stable, only when turned out and I turn out at 7.00am and they come in at 8.00pm(he has a locking stifle as well!! and I turn out come rain or shine). I feed hay in the field and they have the paddock blocks as well. I had thought of using a probiotic and have just recently added this to his diet and hopefully it will help. He does appear to be well and healthy and the only reason I know he is dung eating is that I can watch the horses from my lounge window!!, otherwise I don't think you would really notice as it is not something he does constantly, I certainly haven't noticed a reduction in my work load as a result (mores the pity). I know I should have him tested, but as he looks well I was trying to sort it out with out the added expense. It's interesting about the teeth though, as I had them done shortly after he came to me and my horse dentist said they were bad even though they had been done 8 months previously by the same dentist, perhaps this is something to do with it. He has been kept on a comprehensive worming program all of his life, and I have continued this, my main concern was that he is eating the dung and therefore increasing the chances of infestation.

Thanks again, I'll let you know how we progress.

Last edited:
My horse did this a couple of years ago. There is a name for it but can't remember. I got the vet to do a blood test and it appeared he had suffered some sort of virus. Vet recommended Red Cell which is full of vits and minerals. Seemed to cure the problem, he's never done it again.

newrider.com