D'ya ever feel your horse it too good for you?

greeneyes13

greeneyes
Jun 7, 2005
Ireland but currently Perth, WA
I do:eek:

my loan horse is waaaayy to good for me, im convinced he could be a serious eventer and instead he has me plodding about on him and getting delighted when i jump 90cm when he can do 1 30... and could prob do serious dressage with the right rider

i feel terrible!!!

i do not feel my horse is too good for me , everything he has acheived is down to the pair of us working our arses off together. I have put so much work in to my ned, and tbh i dont think he would tell you he was too good for me either, i know for a fact he wouldnt want to be with anyone else :eek:

i agree that some horsews may have the potential to go further than a rider can take them but i dont think its a "shame" for the horse, he doesnt know after all what he could be doing and given the choice he'd prob opt to be hacking and having fun. x

This often comes up, and the simple answer is that we are the ones with expectations and aspirations, not the horses. So long as they are looked after well, have food, room to roam and friends to hang out with they don't care if they jump 1ft or 5ft.

Tess is a talented horse and even now could still do a lot more with someone else, but I don't care and she certainly doesn't. Just enjoy what you have :)

Definately. Mine was originally bought to breed with, he would be a fantastic endurance horse and has racing bloodlines -what do we do? Fair weather gentle hacking and a bit of NH :mad: but you cant miss what you've never had and we are blissfully happy together :D

I felt this about my loan-schoolmistress, really pushbutton in the school, but my co-loaner was an ex-eventer so kept her occupied. The horse taught me loads and I don't honestly believe that a horse needs to work to a particular level to be happy, unless it's used to lots of work at that level.

The great thing about having a smart, sane, forward going horse that would excel in almost any sphere is that she teaches ME so much. Looking at where my riding was a year ago to now, I am thrilled that I have a wonderful horse that I can learn with and will never outgrow. She couldn't care less that we go hacking rather than XC or dressage competitions. In fact, I think she prefers belting around the local fields and spooking at dustbins.

well hes certainly teaching me lots as hes not strictly push button, ive had to figure out with him working in an outline, jumping and hacking all of which he does in his own ex racer way unlike any ive ridden before

and condition wise he has improved a lot since i got him so i guess hes getting something out of it!

This often comes up, and the simple answer is that we are the ones with expectations and aspirations, not the horses. So long as they are looked after well, have food, room to roam and friends to hang out with they don't care if they jump 1ft or 5ft.

Tess is a talented horse and even now could still do a lot more with someone else, but I don't care and she certainly doesn't. Just enjoy what you have :)

I couldn't agree more with this. I used to beat myself up over being too much of a novice for my young horse but now I have come around this this way of thinking. He is happy, he is having fun, he is well looked after and loved, he doesn't care that I don't want to (or more to the point can't and never will be able to) jump and compete him.

His main ambition is to sneak the treats out of my pocket without me noticing, he is getting to be a really good "pick pocket" ;)

yeh but then other people ride him and he just *puffs* into the horse he has the potential to be and i feel like a loser riding him then!

:eek:

LOL ! Yes, I know how you feel. I've had a couple of professional riders on my girl at various times, including Micheal Peace and a local dressage rider and she moved like poetry in motion. Still, me and her get on fine (mostly :rolleyes:) and she seems to like me riding her- she's always got her eye on me when someone else is on her and afterwards comes to me with her head down ready for a rub with a look as if to say, 'did I do good, mum?'

Don't worry about it, a horse is just a horse, whether its worth £25,000 or £250. As long as you care enough to do your best, then he's a lucky boy.

newrider.com