ebay: would you return the item or put up with it?

MinnieMoo<3

Aug 28, 2010
Cambridgshire
so i ordered from one person 2 x lunge cavessons (it was one lot and i wasnt sure if they come up big so thought with one being cob and one full one would fit) and in another ebay sale from same seller a leather headcollar for £10 and he said he would post free with the cavessons, the listing also said they would engrave it for free, so i asked for Annie to be engraved on it, the items arrived today, cavessons could do with a clean but that doesnt bother me, the leather headcollar is really nice, the engraving is very neat but the buckles were all undone, when i did them up i realised that it has been engraved upside down

i feel really mean about contacting people to say the item is wrong, but it kinda doesnt look very good with Annie being upside down, :help: what would you do?

You will probs have to cover the cost of postage though to return it. May be cheaper to take it to your local cobblers and ask them to put it on the right way round.

the item is wrong it should go back and the seller should pay your return postage

no difference between ebay and any commercial online retailer

I just had that with a pair of hunter wellies yesterday, sold as new, got them and they had scuff marks and had been lightly worn, I emailed them and told them I would accept £15 returned to me and would keep the wellies as it would take time and money to return them, otherwise I would inform Ebay that they had falsely advertised and would leave negative feedback, they sent me back £20, apologised and I kept the wellies, I won them with a £30 bid, so only cost me £10 in the end. I left positive feedback. I didnt mind being scuffed, as only for being around the yard.

hmmm, i might take it to a shop in town this afternoon which may be able to sort it out for us and find out how much it would cost and then let the seller know and see if they want to pay for postage to return it and they sort it or pay for us sorting it out, thanks for all the replies :happy:

so i took it to the shop in town which does the general key cutting, shoe repairs and engraving and he said there was nothing he could do, he could probably get the plate off but wouldnt be able to put it back on again and cant get hold of brass to put on, turns out he just sends stuff away to be engraved, and he doesnt know where we could take it to get it sorted

ive sent a message to the ebay seller explaining how its upsidedown and we took it to the place and they cant fix it, and then asking what the next step will be

a note of advice: if the listing says they are happy to engrave the item, make sure they know which way a headcollar goes :banghead::giggle:

ETA: the guy was very kind and offered to refund the money and say we can keep the headcollar, we took it into our local tack shop today where the owner does leather repairs asking if she could do anything, so she is going to un do it for us at both ends of the cheek piece, turn it around and sow it back up for us with it being the right way round :)

Last edited:
newrider.com