eeek am entering 1st EVER dressage test - what do i need?

sprollie

Jul 29, 2007
chester le street, durham
Hiya everyone,

Have just done an unwise thing this morning:D in the excitement of my first proper lesson with new horse Grace I think I have just unwittingly agreed to enter a walk and trot dressage in 2 weeks time!! :eek:

I have no idea what to expect, would be grateful for any experiences, advice tips etc.

what do i wear? what does grace wear? what will the set test be if it is an "Intro B walk & Trot test ( seniors) "

its just at a show hosted by a local livery that I can just ride up to on the day so no travelling issues but am still terrified of riding in front of people:eek: I only started riding a year ago and have been lucky enough to own a heavy cobx during that time who was an angel but I couldnt afford him AND the lessons so have developed multitude of bad habits and have only ever really hacked out in w/t/and a little canter. so no experience of shows and things at all - everyone always seems to know exactly what they are doing and I feel like when i go up someone will be recording me for you've been framed :D

any help much appreciated, thanks guys
xx

You'll be fine.
Intro B is available from British Dressage or Dressage Diagrams - I've never ridden it, so not sure what it contains!

As for what to wear:
You: pale jods/breeches, long boots/convincing gaiters, pale shirt + tie or stock, any type of showing jacket, hard hat - whip allowed.
Horse: any authorised bit (check British Dressage but includes all snaffles), saddle, girth, discrete numnah ....
:D

And remember to Smile! at the judge :)!

((just want to point out it only includes 'all' snaffles in one sense of the word - snaffle cheekpieces yes, but a snaffle can have any range of mouthpieces but only some are dressage legal. No hooks allowed on bit such as some mylers have either irrelevant of whether or not you are using the hooks.))

Your dress is as soot says. Gracie should be plaited if poss, but certainly turned out tidely, and clean (!), no boots or bandages allowed on horse in the ring, and a neckstrap or breastplate may be worn i think but no martingale. Either have the your saddle without a cloth, or with a black, brown or white numnah or cloth under (no random colours or patterns unless it is REALLY informal).

Remember to just try and enjoy it :D relax and have fun.

Biggest pointer re your test is learn it before hand but still have a caller incase nerves mean you forget it on the day. When you ride the test remember which corners are meant to be ridden as corners and which should be part of a circle.
Also practise your trot down the centre line to get as straight as poss =]

Good luck and hope you enjoy it! x

Echo what others have said, black/blue or tweed jacket. Any chaps should be the same colour and matching to the short boots.

If you have a jockey skull you must have matching peaked cover to your jacket, not brightly coloured silks.

If you horse is a traditional/native type you don't need to plait but just make sure they are neat and tidy.

You will need to check your bit, generally, an ordinary single jointed snaffle, French link, lozenge like the KK ones or Neue Schule, with loose ring, eggbutt, fulmer or hangng cheek. Generally pelhams, gags etc aren't allowed. But double check!

No martingales are allowed either during your working in or the test. Boots can be worn when working in but have to be taken off for the test.

I also think there is something about having to wear gloves as well.

Good luck!:)

Yes forgot the gloves! Certainly if run under BD rules (lots of unaffiliated are), then gloves are compulsory...

Try and remember that everyone doing the test is going to be feeling the same as you.. Also it is to be enjoyed.. have fun.. what does it really matter if it isn't the perfect test.. it is all about gaining experience and knowledge.. If you relax and enjoy it you'll do way better than if you think of it as a "test"..

newrider.com