EEk, Might be getting a discovery this weekend?!!

laceyfreckle

May 27, 2007
Essex/Suffolk
So, hubby has a work car which has finally died and I have a chrysler voyager (which is the only car I've ever driven apart from the fiat 500 i passed my test in!)

He is now trying to convince me to give him my car for work use and to buy the landrover disco for me.......I love the idea but am a bit worried how different it would be to drive.... I've only been driving since last may (I imagine it will easier for him to tow the horse trailer with then the chrysler though!)

He has seen one to look at tomorrow

Am a little bit scared. Hubby has also promised me it won't cost more then my chrysler to run (which drinks oil and runs at 23-28 mpg at the moment)

I just bought an ancient-but-reliable LWB Pajero this week. Blimey, driving 2.5 tons of beast around after my 1.6 Renault Megane Scenic is a bit different but at least it's automatic!! :)

I LOVE my Disco, well I say mine, but it's the family car really, I just drive it the most ;) Hubby has a Disco and I always loved driving it, after our daughter grew out of her rear facing seat, we brought her next car seat with Isofix and I liked being higher up on the road, and the fact that we were using his car a lot at the weekend as it fitted everything in it so well, (2 large retrievers, huge off road pram and child) plus extra room in the rear once the dogs were in for a picnic basket or any extra stuff that we take out with us when we go on our family jaunts. So it made sense to buy another one also to save him unloading his car all the time (he's a tradesman) so we brought a newer Discovery with isofix.

I love the Discovery and think we'll probably always have one as a family car.

I passed my test in August and have driven 4 different cars since, my Freelander is the nicest so far (shame it keeps breaking down).

Good to know that a disco seems to be a nice family car...whih is what I mainly want/will use it for. Need to fit in 5 children, hubby and possibly a dog along with small pushchair.

It is a old disco, 1994 I think but not too worried about that.

mainly worried about if it will seem huge compared to the chrysler voyager people carrier i have...have looked up the dimension though and it is a fraction smaller then the chrysler which surprised me a fair bit. Although it is a lot taller.

Will be nice to be able to take 2 ponies to shows though as currently struggle a little with getting the chrysler to pull a pony trailer with one.

Being higher up also gives you better visibility so makes driving easier. Was it this weekend? Did you end up getting one?

Hi everyone,

Was meant to get one this weekend but the one we had arranged to see was sold before we left to go there and the other we were looking at has gone too high in price on ebay (and the owners hadn't got back to us to arrange viewing).

Hubby needs a car asap for work so looks like i'm losing my car until he or I get a new one. :help::cry: (He's a builder so i feel sorry for my car!)

Am still looking though.

Hubby is looking for a work astra van too, he's going to view one tomorrow night locally.

Pepsimaxrocks - The mpg does put me off (enough to look into it and um and ** about it) but fom what I've heard and read on reviews/guides etc they do about the same as my current car, a people carrier. (I have 5 children so have got to have a 7 seater:unsure:)

That's a shame LF - am sure something will turn up though

Hopefully,

Did have a 'lovely' discussion with my 70yr old dad though about how it will be a huge mistake to buy one as they are expensive to run blah de blah .....He is of the logic that I shouldn't have a car anyway as i am only the 'wife' and that hubby should just take and keep my car or sell it and buy himself a good works van with the money (I bought my car myself!)........he then went onto say I don't need a tow car as I should sell the horses and realise I should be staying at home and waiting on the hubby and children hand and foot.

He does say what he thinks and everyone says to ignore him, he means well but is quite fixed in his ideas but it does sap at my confidence and make me feel I shouldn't have anything. (I do get on with him really).

Will carry on looking though and just maybe not tell my dad!

Hopefully,

Did have a 'lovely' discussion with my 70yr old dad though about how it will be a huge mistake to buy one as they are expensive to run blah de blah .....He is of the logic that I shouldn't have a car anyway as i am only the 'wife' and that hubby should just take and keep my car or sell it and buy himself a good works van with the money (I bought my car myself!)........he then went onto say I don't need a tow car as I should sell the horses and realise I should be staying at home and waiting on the hubby and children hand and foot.

He does say what he thinks and everyone says to ignore him, he means well but is quite fixed in his ideas but it does sap at my confidence and make me feel I shouldn't have anything. (I do get on with him really).

Will carry on looking though and just maybe not tell my dad!

Hmmm, your dad sounds just like mine!! I had a converstaion with mine around xmas time, we had nearly 2 foot of snow here and i was saying how lucky i am to have a 4x4 to which he replied, "yes, but you only got it because of all your @@@@ animals"

Cant chose your family!!:giggle:

Hmmm, your dad sounds just like mine!! I had a converstaion with mine around xmas time, we had nearly 2 foot of snow here and i was saying how lucky i am to have a 4x4 to which he replied, "yes, but you only got it because of all your @@@@ animals"

Cant chose your family!!:giggle:

Definitely lol:giggle:

My dad's selective memory also seems to forget that he has a people carrier himself (vauxhall zafira) but there are only him, my mum and the boy they long term foster at home!

Interestingly hubby wants me to get the discovery regardless of whether we tow with it (he drove one on a 4 x 4 weekend thing and seems to like them because they are a 'boys toy'.)

oh, other thing my dad said was that "You only want a landrover discovery so you can look scruffy and go to town and say "I'm scruffy because i have a landrover and horses you know" " Couldn't be further from the truth!! (but am slightl miffed he still thinks i always look scruffy, have been making a effort recently!

Your hubby will love having a 4x4 - we've managed for years without one before getting the Ranger, but after all that snow we had just before christmas - my hubby is now a 4x4 convert - have told him to buy his own though:giggle:

newrider.com