Eek poor dog

chunky monkey

May 2, 2007
Wide awake now. Just having an early coffee having spent the last hour washing carpets. My utility room currently resembles a war zone too.
Poor Abbey developed a lump some years ago near her backwnd. We thought it was an abcess at first then after some time realise no abcess but a growth. Well we have left well alone. This thing has got to tennis ball size. The vet said last year at 16 its not something to start trying to operate on so if its not bothering her then leave well alone.
Well she collapsed a few weeks ago whilst having her breakfast, we thought thats it we will be taking her to be pts. The time has come. She rallied and we came to the conclusion it was the heat. Well since then ive allowed her every night to sleep in my room. We me and floss. Well shes been going through the night sleeping but this last couple of weeks she gets up middle of the night and stretches her legs in the hall and comes back in. l get disturbed by this but as she is very much on borrowed time at now almost 17 and a half i try to ignore my disturbed sleep and think if shes happy sleeping in with me so be it. Old age is very lonely so i want to give her some comfort. Well i heard her pace and come back in, at 4.30 this morning, then shortly after cat brought a mouse in through my window, which ment i got up to get it out. Well in the hall im greeted with this funny looking blacky brown stuff. At first i thought Abbey had developed a sqitty bottom and walked around messing. Then she got disturbed and came to join. I then see all this stuff round her rear end thinking oh god she really has shit herself. Just at that moment whilst im still evaluating the mess and best method to clear up. She swings round and this liquid stuff just fired out of her. It was that powerful it hit the wall and bounced off. I quickly ushered her through the house, (so more mess) to the tiled utility room and picked up all the mats and put loads of newspaper down.
After washing all the carpets i go back to check on her and the utility room floor now looks like a blood bath. The mass on her back end has drained out and almost completely gone down.

Going to leave her for a little bit for it to continue to drain and then mum and i will have to stick her in the shower for a body wash as its now all over her tail, back legs and shes also laided on the newspaper that is now soaking up the pools of blood.

I seriously cant believe it. She has had this steadily growing lump for probably 3+ years. There was us thinking tumour and it wasnt at all. She does also have loads of other lumps on her too, which are nothing like this one was. So they probably are tumours. This one on her back end looked seriously bad. Everybody use to comment on its size.

Wide awake now. Just having an early coffee having spent the last hour washing carpets. My utility room currently resembles a war zone too.
Poor Abbey developed a lump some years ago near her backwnd. We thought it was an abcess at first then after some time realise no abcess but a growth. Well we have left well alone. This thing has got to tennis ball size. The vet said last year at 16 its not something to start trying to operate on so if its not bothering her then leave well alone.
Well she collapsed a few weeks ago whilst having her breakfast, we thought thats it we will be taking her to be pts. The time has come. She rallied and we came to the conclusion it was the heat. Well since then ive allowed her every night to sleep in my room. We me and floss. Well shes been going through the night sleeping but this last couple of weeks she gets up middle of the night and stretches her legs in the hall and comes back in. l get disturbed by this but as she is very much on borrowed time at now almost 17 and a half i try to ignore my disturbed sleep and think if shes happy sleeping in with me so be it. Old age is very lonely so i want to give her some comfort. Well i heard her pace and come back in, at 4.30 this morning, then shortly after cat brought a mouse in through my window, which ment i got up to get it out. Well in the hall im greeted with this funny looking blacky brown stuff. At first i thought Abbey had developed a sqitty bottom and walked around messing. Then she got disturbed and came to join. I then see all this stuff round her rear end thinking oh god she really has shit herself. Just at that moment whilst im still evaluating the mess and best method to clear up. She swings round and this liquid stuff just fired out of her. It was that powerful it hit the wall and bounced off. I quickly ushered her through the house, (so more mess) to the tiled utility room and picked up all the mats and put loads of newspaper down.
After washing all the carpets i go back to check on her and the utility room floor now looks like a blood bath. The mass on her back end has drained out and almost completely gone down.

Going to leave her for a little bit for it to continue to drain and then mum and i will have to stick her in the shower for a body wash as its now all over her tail, back legs and shes also laided on the newspaper that is now soaking up the pools of blood.

I seriously cant believe it. She has had this steadily growing lump for probably 3+ years. There was us thinking tumour and it wasnt at all. She does also have loads of other lumps on her too, which are nothing like this one was. So they probably are tumours. This one on her back end looked seriously bad. Everybody use to comment on its size.
Jeepers, you’ve had a busy morning already! I hope she’s ok, it sounds very dramatic but 🤞 it was just some kind of abscess and it will heal up quickly now it’s finally burst. That’s a heck of a long time for one to have been brewing though isn’t it 🤔

Wow - very dramatic, but I suppose good, in an icky way. I think I'd have been heaving, cleaning that up!

Luckily it didnt smell at all. I really dont know what you call it. I was reading through a list of common lumps and bumps on dogs this morning and this one didnt fit the bill of any descriptions and the named lumps they gave.

I cleared up all the newspaper and gave the tiles a good soak and scrub. Then scissored of the hair around the lump and the gunky hair below the lump and down her legs. Popped her in the shower and cleaned her up. I managed to get the water into the open hole, massaged it gently so was able to slosh loads of blood and congealed blood lumps out.
She was really good about it all really. To be honest i think she was aware of all the mess she was making. I dont think there is any feeling in it.
Please to say the hole has closed up during the day so its not making anymore mess. Be interesting to see if it refills again. I can definitely feel some inflammation of veins or what ever inside. And there is a large bag of loose skin. I wonder if it will ever shrink being as its been stretched for so many years.
Her tail also looks straighter now. The lump was actually making her tail look loopsided.

Some very sad news today. The lump had sealed over during the day yesterday so i let her come into my room overnight. However, during the night Abbey was very disturbed and kept getting up and walking round in circles in my room. Lay down for a bit then up and circle again. Her back legs looked to be giving way like happened a few weeks ago. Something was clearly not right. I popped her out for a wee at 4am she wandered back and forth and did her business. On occasions being an old lady shes had a few accidents in the house. As she was unsettled i thought best let her out.
Let her out again at 6am but she was very tottery. Her back end seemed to give way and she went on the floor, i helped her back to her feet and back in the house.
She carried on seeming to deteriorate.
I went into mum at 8am and said that we would have to take her to the vets. It was time to make the call. She was unaware i had been up in the night and how poorly Abbey had become. Mum got very upset and started crying when she saw her laying helpless on the kitchen floor. My mum doesnt cry that much. We inherited Abbey from her mum and her brother when they passed away within a short time of one another some 9 years ago, so Abbey is the last bit of them. So very sentimental.

We managed to give her some breakfast, mainly treats and some milk but she really isnt that interested. She can get to her feet and has been up a few times but she is mainly laying quietly resting. Ive put her in the utility room with a fan on her to cool her off. She is getting less able to get to her feet as time goes on, ive carried her out to the garden for a wee but she just laid down. Tried to get her to her feet to support her but she made no attempt to stoop. So i carried her back in.
I wonder if the lump on the back end has some how poisoned her system. She is clearly unwell, and if she doesnt slip away before tomorrow, then we are going to take her to the vets tomorrow. In the meantime she is getting frequent cuddles and food offerings.
Poor Floss seems unaware of how poorly Abbey is, shes sniffed her a few times. I think she will miss her when shes gone.
Ive noticed Floss has been getting a bit wobbly again in the last couple of weeks and her attention span is becoming very short. Cant decide if her hearing is going or just the brain communication is breaking down. Im not sure how long she is going to be with me. I just hope losing her companion even though they werent best buddies doesnt cause her to deteriorate quicker or have another vestibular episode. Vestibular can be brought on by stress.

• Sad
Reactions: Jessey and Trewsers
I’m so sorry, it’s so hard to watch them struggling. I hope the vet has some ideas on what’s happening and a miracle cure to hand x

Reactions: Trewsers
Shes almost 17 and a half.
Shes developed a limp on her front leg too, most probably arthritis. Which has got progressively worse in the last couple of months. Shes been having pain meds and turmeric for this. Wasnt wanting to go for walks but i was making her do a very short walk each day, but you could tell she really didnt want to.

We are not going to let her go on. We feel sadly it is her time to cross over.

Shes developed a limp on her front leg too, most probably arthritis. Which has got progressively worse in the last couple of months. Shes been having pain meds and turmeric for this. Wasnt wanting to go for walks but i was making her do a very short walk each day, but you could tell she really didnt want to.

Sorry to hear that, but you're doing right by her. It's the last best thing you can do. Hugs.

Aw, it sounds like the right decision, thinking of you and mum today x

Well by some miracle Abbey is still with us. We cant believe it either.
She was so poorly on Sunday, the speed at which she deteriorated, it really seemed the kindest thing would be to put her to sleep.
She ate cat food and milk for breakfast yesterday, with some loxicom. Lunchtime we gave her some more milk and loxicom. Then cat food and loxicom for dinner. Maybe a blessing in disguise but i had to go to work, then the cattle tb test and getting hay in yesterday. We decided that she didnt seem as distressed yesterday morning as she was on Sunday, and we just let her sleep. So put off ringing the vets and said we'd monitor her. Maybe take her Tuesaday afternoon. Slowly she seemed to get stronger though.
I gave her her normal turkey meat this morning but she wasnt too keen. So shes getting a cat food supper tonight.
Somehow shes found her legs and has regained her strength to stand up.
Ive just got in from work and shopping today and her head is up and she is alert. She was back to her usually walking round the floor to scrounge crumbs this morning. Shes even into mischief putting her nose into the dog bed cushions and pushing them across the floor.
This is a far cry from the very sick dog on Sunday. Whos legs were just buckling underneath her. Shes certainly not right and im not holding my breath. Ive known many animals seem to get better before they just peg out. As long as shes not distressed we will just take it bit by bit.

Her lump is slowly filling up with fluid. It did leak out a bit yesterday. It opened up when i carried her out to the garden for a toilet visit. By the evening it had dried up again so i let her sleep in my room last night. Shes got a fan directed on her to keep her cool and shes actually happy laid infront of it just now. Her little eyes keep opening to keep an eye on us.

newrider.com