Electric fence energiser

Lottie86

Aug 6, 2012
North Aberdeenshire
I need to get some electric fencing to set up a fence just inside the perimeter fence as the farmer is going to be redoing the fencing very soon in post and wire and I'm being a little bit (ok a lot) neurotic about a foal and thin wire so hoping an internal electric fence will keep her away from the main fence but when I have been looking at the 12v energisers I'm a bit confused about the output joules/volts.

I've seen one that says output joules 0.45 and the voltage at 500 ohms is 4500v or there is another one that is more expensive that has output joules of 1.00 but the voltage at 500 ohms is 4200v.

Do you go for a higher output joules or higher voltage to give higher power to the fence?

I think it depends on what the length of the fence line is. I just use the smaller output on mine with the fence line of about 100 meters combined and it gives them enough of a jolt to keep them back. I just use a cheap car battery to run it and charge it up once a fortnight or so.

I can't remember what mine is sorry - but a good tip is to go to a garage or similar as they will sell (or give you!) batteries - I ran mine off a coach battery - nightmare to shift but lasted forever!

Volts Jolts, go for lots of volts!

We too scrounge tractor and truck batteries. Difficult to casually make off with, and last a good long time.

newrider.com