Electric fence... indoors!

Alfies-slave

May 24, 2006
I have a great wooly cob who weighs almost a tonne. He scrubs & bashes on the door & last night bashed it off its hinges. I have put an electric tape across the door way.

I have used an RSJ steel girder that is sunk in to the concrete as the earth. I figured it is bound to go down to the foundations. Now I am worried that the batteries will be flat by morning!

Does anyone else use electric inside. If so, how do you earth it?

Can't help you with the earthing but why does your cob bash the door so much? Is he that unhappy indoors? If so, could you not leave him out if he is so wooly? My "great woolly" cob is out and unrugged :p

They don't know their own strength do they?

Are you in UK? with the current wet weather and soggy ground, I'd be surprised if the RSJ didn't work fine as an earth, as it is probably going down into damp soil.

But surely you only will have flat batteries tomorrow if your horse touches it a lot all night and repeatedly completes the circuit, hence earthing the current alot (& therefore using up the battery)? I thought the battery power was only discharged (via the transformer) when the tape was touched and a complete circuit was made?

Bit woolly on the physics front here. Where are the experts?? lol

I bought my wooly cob from Appleby fair this summer. He has a lot of 'issues'. He can not be left on his own, even in the field ( he jumps out or frets till he is in a lather). He self harms, ie bites himself till he has skin and blood flapping, if he is alone or stressed! He has been abused in the past and probably taken weaned too early.

Problem is that my land is trashed with all the rain. I have 15 acres for 6 neds; but we are on clay. There is plenty of grass but water standing about an inch deep and there are ponds! My husband (typical farmer) took a look at the fields and insisted that the horses are in at night. He is right because if my neds wreck it now it will resemble the somme by the spring.

The cob can see the other horses, but just wants out of the box! Usualy they are all out unrugged 24/7 unless the weather is like it is at the moment.

The batteries will not go flat as the current in not running to earth unless the horse touches it and earths it. That's how electric fencing works.

Poor little man, sounds like he's had a rough life up till now :(

The electric should work fine as you have it, but a word of warning, if he is that stressy (I have one like that) then the electric may very well not stop him, our boy will go through leccy fence even off a mains energiser if he feels the need :(

Is there any chance you could just fence him on to the yard area, so he can go visit his buddies over the stable doors?

newrider.com