EMS (equine of course) HELP!

Kalypso

Mar 5, 2004
Ohio, USA
I'm putting this here because not many people actually go into the health section (I know I don't really) and I really just want some quick help. I'll do a search as well, and am doing research online, but I'm just hoping for a few posts to put my mind at ease.

Mia is in Georgia, I am in Ohio (thirteen hour drive). YO was keeping her, and I was trying to arrange transport...I was going to end up pretty much giving her to YO, but it has been discovered that Mia has EMS and understandably the YO does not want to take this on.

So, I"m going crazy trying to find the money to arrange transport for her at this time because she needs to be brought up here as soon as possible.

Now, what I want to know is...what do I do with this? The dr. suggested some kind of herbs for cushings...but she doesn't have cushings, and most sites I've read so far say that treating for cushings or hyperthyroidism is a bit senseless because neither of those are the actual problem.

She needs most sugars cut from her diet and she NEEDS to lose weight, I know this. No more apples or carrots, and very little grass...

Now what else?

Thought I'd add: Mia's got very good feet, and as far as I'm aware she does not, and never has had, and experience with laminitis. She's never really even been lame or off or anything since I've had her.

I've read that it can take on some of the "signs" of cushings, and I have noticed, since I've had her, that her coat is often thicker than it should be and slightly curly in places. I've asked the vet about it, but he said that at 12, she's realy too young, and dismissed it.

Now, I think maybe we should have taken greater note...

Christy. I was there when the Vet looked at Mia. I have all the info you need plus info about her feet. Pm me please?

I'm putting this here because not many people actually go into the health section (I know I don't really) and I really just want some quick help. I'll do a search as well, and am doing research online, but I'm just hoping for a few posts to put my mind at ease.

Mia is in Georgia, I am in Ohio (thirteen hour drive). YO was keeping her, and I was trying to arrange transport...I was going to end up pretty much giving her to YO, but it has been discovered that Mia has EMS and understandably the YO does not want to take this on.

So, I"m going crazy trying to find the money to arrange transport for her at this time because she needs to be brought up here as soon as possible.

Now, what I want to know is...what do I do with this? The dr. suggested some kind of herbs for cushings...but she doesn't have cushings, and most sites I've read so far say that treating for cushings or hyperthyroidism is a bit senseless because neither of those are the actual problem.

She needs most sugars cut from her diet and she NEEDS to lose weight, I know this. No more apples or carrots, and very little grass...

Now what else?

We can give you the number of the vet that we had look at her. We have already ordered the special feed that she needs and she is getting that now. We have also researched the supplements. Don't panic.
Why don't you just call the doctor. She is an expert in this field and is very very helpful.

Last edited:
Sounds like Julia Gulia and the people in Georgia have it covered! :) Perhaps JG would like a new pony? ;)

Merry Christmas Julia Gulia! :D

Thank you Karin :D But I don't think that Christy would appreciate me stealing her little princess...she adores her Mia. We're just helping out by trying to give her the best care we possibly can while her mum is in Ohio .:)

newrider.com