Encouraging him to stay on the outside track and keep his head down

Illusions

Mar 5, 2005
York
photobucket.com
At my riding school the other day I rode an ex eventer called Shiraz, and I found it really hard to keep him on the outside track, especially in canter.
He just seems to drift away as soon as you begin the transition, so I tried asking him with my reins, but this just ended up in him getting his legs confused!
I can successfully use my legs and my seat alone in walk and trot to get him to stay near the fence, but in canter he just doesn't seem to listen!
And the other thing, he always has his head held really high in trot and canter, yet in walk he's fine. I've tried keeping my hands low and open but he doesn't seem to take the hint! :p
Help? :p

you shouldnt be encouraging him to the outside with your reins, you need to use your legs. and if hes not listening lay a schooling whip down his shoulder see if that has an effect.
also does he circle well in canter? because if it is he is napping the the inside and you need to get your legs stronger to make him listen, but again the whip down the shoulder should help him realise not to drop his shoulder to the inside

and the head set, is something that once a week riding is going to help if its a true problem, but you need to get a nice contact and make him work through into it. if hes still got his nose in the air, try opening and closing your fingers and slowing the pace of your work down (dont lose the implusion) see if that has any effect

newrider.com