Encouraging Longer Strides

Silly Filly

Sep 7, 2004
Visit site
Can you use poles to encourage a horse to lengthen its stride? (walk and trot). If so how would i go about doing this (i.e. how far do you place the poles apart?).

J

jenmac_85

Hands up I could be totally wrong or misinterpreting what I heard, but an RI informed me that once you get your horse going over poles, you can roll them slightly further apart to get them to stretch out.

It wasn't my RI so I dont know how reliable that information is. Haven't tried it myself and a novice horse owner so not sure lol

Showjumper

Ex Member
Dec 30, 2000
When riding along, pick up a contact and put your leg on to ask your horse to lengthen. Chances are they'll either run onto the forehand or up into the next gait initially. Bring them back to a balanced gait and ask again. As soon as they lengthen for even one stride, praise them and then ask again. You'll soon end up with a horse that lengthens easily :)

katefarmer

Feb 10, 2005
Austria - near Vienna
www.xanga.com
It can be done with poles - set them up to fit the natural stride of the horse, then just make the spaces a little bit bigger. However, there is a theory that this is not necessarily the best way for anything more than a very little lengtherning, as it can encourage the horse to reach too much and flatten the stride.

Another way is by rising higher in the trot - the horse lengthens its stride to match your seat - and as your weight is off the back, the horse tends to get springier and more elevated in the trot.

eventerbabe

Dec 16, 2004
When riding along, pick up a contact and put your leg on to ask your horse to lengthen. Chances are they'll either run onto the forehand or up into the next gait initially. Bring them back to a balanced gait and ask again. As soon as they lengthen for even one stride, praise them and then ask again. You'll soon end up with a horse that lengthens easily :)

yep, that's how i was taught :) if you are asking for lengthened strides in trot, make your rising slightly larger when asking for extension, then smaller when coming back to a medium trot :)

Welsh_Girl

~Mañana será otro día~
Oct 13, 2007
Ireland
Also maybe try getting into the habbit of when you ask for an upward gait lighten your seat, and then when asking to lengthen within a gait, sit deeper and push forward. Works for me anyway.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Jane&Ziggy Encouraging your horse to drink Horse Care 11
sjp1 Encouraging Forward? Training of the Horse and Rider 9
jovi_y2k2 Encouraging weight loss Cafe 13
C Encouraging forwardness Competing 16
C Encouraging forwardness Training of the Horse and Rider 16
ladywiththebaby Quick...someone say something encouraging!! Confidence Club 25
juliecwuk Encouraging but not pushing...? Cafe 16
Illusions Encouraging him to stay on the outside track and keep his head down Training of the Horse and Rider 1
Fab filly Encouraging a horse to put its head down!!! Training of the Horse and Rider 20
SilverKismet Encouraging young children to ride Training of the Horse and Rider 13
J Encouraging a weanling to eat General 5
S Encouraging forward movement under saddle Training of the Horse and Rider 41
V Encouraging Bend Training of the Horse and Rider 7
Mimi + Me Encouraging Horses to Drink From Waterers Horse Care 4
i lv lenny Encouraging horse to use corners and improving 20m circles Training of the Horse and Rider 4
chickflick1066 Encouraging left bend. Training of the Horse and Rider 6
NoviceNic Encouraging Stretch on Lunge Training of the Horse and Rider 6
L Encouraging a horse to relax! Tips for long and low work needed Training of the Horse and Rider 10
CurlyWurlyRach encouraging a horse to go loooooong and low? Training of the Horse and Rider 24
Jessey Encouraging him to take more contact? Training of the Horse and Rider 9
C Encouraging after a fall First Timers 5
S Encouraging the horse to move off your leg Training of the Horse and Rider 18
katieB Encouraging a larger circle when lunging Training of the Horse and Rider 9
No_Angel encouraging nervous rider to ride Training of the Horse and Rider 17
larri Encouraging hair growth Horse Care 6
floppy YOYO game encouraging bad things? Training of the Horse and Rider 10
C Encouraging collection Training of the Horse and Rider 3
S Encouraging working on the bit and in an outline? Training of the Horse and Rider 9
Kylie Chamberlain encouraging horse to soften Competing 7
Waikato Valuta Encouraging horse to move forward Training of the Horse and Rider 4
G Help with encouraging him to work forward into the contact. Training of the Horse and Rider 7
C Encouraging the correct outline with a grumpy horse! Training of the Horse and Rider 13
diplomaticandtactful Racehorses No Longer to Enter Human Food Chain Cafe 10
Jane&Ziggy A longer hack today Hacking 4
Kite_Rider Yay for longer days! Cafe 9
Jessey Loving longer days Hacking 10
P Longer distance hacking ... Cafe 13
Jane&Ziggy No longer porky Corky Cats, Dogs and other Animals 2
Cortrasna Sweet itch Rambo Hoody no longer doing the job Cafe 4
Trewsers It has only been a week but feels longer.... Cafe 14
Jane&Ziggy No longer a project Cafe 19
D No longer have children at primary school,sad day!! Cafe 15
M longer solo ride today Adults who ride Ponies 6
juliecwuk No longer horse shopping! Cafe 108