Encouraging working on the bit and in an outline?

SarahC

Jul 13, 2004
East Midlands
Visit site
Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on how to get my new gelding to come onto the bit and work in an outline? He's a 12 year old warmblood that has been schooled in the past, but I believe he spent the last year just hacking out with his previous owners.

He works very well from his hind quarters/legs...all the propulsion is from the rear, however he is very hollow as he is not stretching his top line and working on the bit. Also, he spends all his time with his head up in the air and just isn't concentrating at all...just spooking!!

I've tried the usual trick...ie..slight alternate opening and closing of the fingers on the reins (not see-sawing!!) but no matter how gentle this movement is...he reins back!!

Anyone have any suggestions? I'd prefer not to use gadgets..ie: market harborough etc if I can help it.

Thanks
Sarah

you are only using one hand for the opening and closing of the fingers right?

you can get even more gentle than the opening and closing of the fingers. Technically if you can see it you are doing too much. so try very very slight movements of the fingers, this isn't opening and closing the hand, but just a very small movement that the horse will feel. you can also send a tiny vibration down the rein that will tickle the inside of the horses mouth.

don't cut out the backing completely if he's going hollow, I would probably be increasing it if I were you this gets his rear under him and brings his back up. everytime he hollows, halt and back.

it might take awhile to get this if your horse has been out of work. Try some suppling exercises as well to strengthen his back muscles up, a lot of the time a horse just simply doesn't have the muscle to carry itself in an outline, so you work with what you've got until the muscle comes and the head lowers.

Last edited:
How long do you spend first allowing your horse to stretch his neck and warm up before gently but firmly asking him to come into an outline?

As you warm up you should be encouraging your horse to work more from behind and he will naturally come into a better outline.

When you ask you horse to round up you may need to be more firm in your aids and be very quick to reward. As he learns what is being asked he will need lighter nad lighter aids.

To get you rhorse to reach for th econtact and accept it instead of leaning or backing up you need a deep strong seat and use your legs. Also don't be afraid to use your voice.

As he learns what you want you can cut you rvoice out and as I keep saying use the aids lighter and lighter.

Are you trying to obtain an outline and then ask your horse forward? Instead get your horse into a good medium walk or working trot and then start asking for the outline that you are wanting. This makes it much harder fo ryour horse to back up.

Thanks for replies.

I ask for the outline after about 10 minutes warm up, when he is in a good forward going motion and really working from his hind quarters. Most of the time, he will try to stop and rein back or he will just resist the bit. I think from what you have said, that maybe I am not being firm enough with my aids (I've had some problems with nerves and am working very hard to ride more positively!)

We are doing lots of suppling and fitness work, and its a good point that he may not have the muscle to carry himself in an outline at the moment.

Thanks again for replies...I'll work on what you have said!

S

Some people think you need to pull and tug to get an outline but this just makes the horse short and tense and very uncomfortable.

When you work your horse first make sure you are going forward with energy and give half halts to help your horse balance himself. Then it is up to you to help your horse stay balanced through the inside leg to the outside rein. Hence the saying leg to hand.

Once you have your horse balanced then start asking for a contact. Learn your horses feel and learn how and when to ask and reward. The ask and reward is from where the horse learns and if you time this wrong then you will confuse your horse. However you must only reward when your horse does right.

When schooling give your horse a good stretch about every 15 -20min, this stops them getting tired and stiff and allows them to stretch and reach into the contact which you want.

Do plenty of transitions and loads of circles, loops and serpentines. Don't follow the walls of the arena and forget about markers. If you want to change the rein DON'T aim for X but change the rein when you have rythmn, balance and flexion no matter where in the arena or field you may be.

If you go to change the rein and you or your horse is not ready then do another circle and try again.
The reason for this is if you go for the change of rein and haven't quite got the bend but carry on anyway then your horse will think that was correct. So only do a movement if it is right.

All the time your working make your your horse is active with energy but not speed. When your horse is going actively forwards he won't be able to back up.

Have lessons and if possible record onto video as much of your schooling as possible so you can see what you doing right and wrong.

Be aware of your position, your arms, wrists and hands as well as your seat, legs and weight. use your breathing to help get and maintain rhythm.

Watch your horse and see if he trails a leg or doesn't quite step under himself etc. It is amazing how much watching yourself helps.
I cringe when I see myself

:D

Lets know how you get on.

Yes, I agree with your first sentence. I personally NEVER pull or tug my horse. The method I have been taught to encourage working on the bit seems to have an effect on my new boy that I've not really experienced before, therefore I thought it sensible to ask advice rather than just try hap hazard techniques!

I've printed out your reply and will try to look at each point you've made. Thanks again for the advice, will certainly let you know how we get on!

Thanks again.

Work on a small circle. Using your correct aids, your inside leg on the girth pushing him round the circle and your outside leg just behind the girth stopping his hind quarters swinging out. Now on to what to do with your hands. With your inside hand give the horse a long rein and with your outside hand have it like you would normally and use this for your break if needed. Work on your circle in walk untill your horse starts to bring his head down (could take up to half hour. does with mt my pony!) when you feel him lowering his head reward him. Keep workin on the circle and dont forget to change rein to keep him interested. My pony never brings her head in but when i do what i told you she does! so worth trying!

Great, thanks...I'll try that too.

The thing is, he knows what to do and he has been schooled in the past...my instructor thinks its a cross between him needing reminding and being lazy!! Yesterday, we had a small amount of success, in that he would bring his head in nicely for literally a few seconds before sticking his nose up in the air again.
Alf was right in that I have to really keep his forward momentum going....I could almost see him thinking I can't back up now so whats the other thing I should do!!!

We are doing lots of circle work as part of his suppleness schooling so will incorporate what you have suggested and will let you know how we get on!

Thanks
S

A bit of a gadget really but you could try a pelham bit as per Heather Moffett's EE book, with a hard rubber mouth and elastic curb. It's quite a mild combination and makes it obvious what you're asking for, with the curb acting on a reflex point and relaxing the jaw. You may be surprised just how effective this is, I know I was, especially if your horse has done it all before.

It's NOT a case of hoiking the horses head in, and seems to give lasting results that can be transferred back into a snaffle.

Oooh..thats interesting Yann...I'll look into that, thanks.

I'm not totally against gadgets.....just don't particularly like Market harboroughs etc....not sure why really! I think it stems from going to see a horse I was thinking of buying...and when I got there, it was on the tightest setting on a M.H. and to make things worse...the rider had extremely heavy hands and the poor horse looked so uncomfortable...the owners kept ooh ing and aah ing about how nice the horse looked with his chin tucked just about onto his chest!! I made them take the whole thing off!!! It just sort of put me off M.H's!! A bit daft really I suppose!

Thanks again.

S

newrider.com