Encouraging your horse to drink

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
I've posted this elsewhere, but Trevor Jones the barefoot trimmer was saying to me today how many horses (and people!) are generally dehydrated, even when they live out, and how important it is to encourage them to drink.

We found that Ziggy could very easily be encouraged to drink by offering him a splash of Sainsbury's Freshly Squeezed Tropical Juice in his water. He told us he wanted it by almost knocking Trevor's drink out of his hand! He drank masses, having only sipped previously at plain water.

What works for your horses?

Doing the river ride works for Joy as, although she won't drink from the river, she will happily except the invitation to clear the section of all water plants!

Sugar beet water is the only thing that works for mine when out and about. She'll drink quite happily at home though.

Moet ALWAYS drinks when we go through the fords, she seems to love running water.

J&Z i think i might try that in their paddock though as they don't seem to drink much when out.

We have a little routine of offering up drinks to both ours before turnout in a morning - it started cos Storm wouldn't let Chloe partake in the field at first. Now it's just part of our morning routine. OH and I offer a clean tub trug up to both girls and Chloe nearly always accepts. She waggles her ears as she drinks.... Hehehe

I always have a salt lick pinned to a tree very near the troughs - works perfectly - lick, lick, lick...followed by gulp, gulp, gulp!:)

I have had this problem in the past. I only solved the 'pellet' poo situation by introducing sugar beet and soaked hay. I tried apple juice in water, no dice. I will try the sainos tropical stuff just out of interest:giggle:

It was one of the biggest hassles during endurance rides, Getting enough water down them. Young horses would get far too excited to drink and would finish up dehydrated. We never did find a sure fire way to get them to drink.

We have a water trough at the door to the indoor school and always give them an opportunity to take a drink, but as the old saying goes, "you can lead a horse to water......."

I have a stream in one paddock and often see them drinking, I have a trug in the others and they barely drink. one is obviously a fresh water stream, the other is mains water. Yet when stabled Squire can demolish a full giant trug while the others never seem to drink at all.
I give them beet with their supplements.
I find it a problem with some of the dogs, one in particular does not drink enough and can get unwell so I have to add it to her food.
Might try the oil as I already add a bag of mint to their speedi beet so its always minty fresh.

Izzy is a big drinker - he likes to pee a lot while we are out so I think this is his plan. I let him eat while he pees;)

He has a salt lick in his stable and drinks a huge trug every day in the stable. His first port of call when he is turned out is the water trough.

When we are at endurance or something I cut up apples and put them in his water so he goes dunking. He also loves speedibeet water and he buries his whole face in if offered on the way round endurance rides.

Izzy is quite a hot horse so I think he naturally is a good drinker.

The driving ponies have no trouble drinking after about two hours work pulling clients in the carriage. They always seem to like normal water, but then they've never been allowed access to the hay soaking bins:giggle:

newrider.com